Project GENBLED

Soldato
Hi guys, not a professional system builder but I finished this build late 2015 so thought I would finally post it up here!

Named after every GENeric BLack and rED build you will see.

Ever.

So this is a yearly upgrade from my previous build after I hacked my old Elite 130 to shreds...
lx6umvYh.jpg
F5pVqGEh.jpg

That has since found a new home donated to a forum member to see what they can salvage!

Some new parts have been added and upgraded and I will probably keep this set up for the foreseeable future (or until I get bored!)

Full Parts list:
Asus Maximus Impact VII + H110iGT
Corsair 16gb Vengeance 2400mhz
ASUS Strix 980 + H55 + Kraken G10
256gb SM951
256gb MX100
6TB WD Green
Superflower Leadex 750w Gold
Noctua - 4x NF-A14 & 2x NF-F12

The old case was getting too small after upgrading the cooler to a 280mm H110iGT and new graphics card was getting to hot so decided on the Enthoo ITX case from Phanteks.

Amazing case, although a bit on the fat size.

Love it and I added a red strip for added red genericness. Strip was added using an old RGB lighting cable and an old molex cable. Some soldering later using just the red and power bits, and plugging it into the PSU, it works like a charm!

Case temps are awesome and it plays anything thrown at it.

SM951 is now the boot drive with the old Crucial used for Steam Games and the monster 6tb used for pictures/movies/anythingelse.

SM951 - This thing is awesome, read and write speeds are faster than anything I have seen! Real world difference isn't that noticeable however, and if you can't afford one yet, I wouldn't invest in one. Wait until they come down in price and in the meantime invest in a good quality SSD.

Strix 980 + Kraken G10 + H55 + Noctua IPPC added This was purely because I am scared of going full custom loop and wanting to make my system as quiet as possible. Plus it looks pretty cool. The Noctua's are from the old H80i set up and the H55+Kraken G10 was bought for less than £65. Pretty cheap way to go under water and temps are amazing. Load temps are almost 30c lower (~78c compared to 50c) and the card now idles at around 22c! Also enables a healthy overclock of the Strix 980 running 1550/8000 stable. If I can get around the voltage lock on this I reckon it can do much more!

4790k now stable 4.8ghz @ 1.3v (Can do 5Ghz @ 1.4v) This is a beast of a chip and I had no idea it could do 5Ghz!! Daily clock is 4.8Ghz at 1.3v. Temps idle around 24c and max out under synthetic test at around 70c and under normal gaming load ~65c is the norm.

H110iGT added This thing is monstrous compared to my old H80i, the Fans that come with it are good but I had to go with the Noctua's. The light set up with Corsair link is cool and it looks brilliant. Also performs really well in cooling the CPU!

Temps do not exceed 70c full load CPU, 50c full load GPU (VRM 70c), fans set to 750rpm
Dem Noctua's! These fans are insane. I bought my first pair last year and since then knew I needed to fill my case with them. The 2 NF-A14 fans intaking bring in so much air into the system and having all the other fans set as exhaust helps keep airflow equal and temps are brilliant!

Any questions - Ask!
(I PROMISE TO INVEST IN A GOOD CAMERA AT SOME POINT
PINKY PROMISE
XOXO)
w1G1nXZh.jpg
OcMgxQ7h.jpg
SwF9OuRh.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Looking tidy and good job on the diy with the lighting!

I can see similar decisions you have taken to me.

I'm also using the Noctua's as case fans 2x NF-A14's on the front and 2x NF-A12's on the bottom. However I have my H55 rad intaking using Vardar F4's.

The Phantek cases are certainly nice to work with and build with a modder's eye in mind.

Soldato
OP
Deffo agree with that, the case is awesome!!

I did think about having the H55 intake but I thought it would be bringing all that hot air into the top rad and didnt want to mess that up!

As it turned out the temps are just amazing! I haven't seen the Strix it go above ~58c on hours of gaming sessions and its pretty much silent!
The Kraken is a great idea but I do want to do a full water loop at some point...just need the money and the balls to follow it through!

Associate
The Kraken is a great idea but I do want to do a full water loop at some point...just need the money and the balls to follow it through!

Heh, I can relate. I've taken the interim solution and gone with the predator. I will be adding the GPU into the loop at the end of Feb.

When I also get the balls to go under a customer loop I can use the bits to become part of something more daring :D

Still, nothing to be taken away from the G10/h55 improvements.
I suppose that a hybrid card would save some of the hassle, but seems that it will be easier to go from a stock air cooler card (modded by G10/H55) to water block than a hybrid to a water block.
I may be wrong on this point, but don't regret my decisions and purchases to date!

Soldato
OP
No I think I agree with you there! First time taking the stock cooler off a GPU so was a nice experience to get the Kraken bracket on along with the AIO. At least with this method You still have a working AIO that can be salvaged should the need arise later on!
All in was a pleasant build with a lot less risk than custom water cooling... Watch this space though, I think custom water will come in the summer!!

Back
Top Bottom