Project Ghoster

Associate
Well here's my first build in a very very very very very (you get the idea) long time.

I've decided I don't want anything too garish, not sure the RGB route is good for me on this build so I think I'll be doing a subtle black and white theme eventually

Here's the spec so far :

• Intel Core i7-7700K
  • NZXT Kraken X62
  • Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO
  • Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3200
  • Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card
  • NZXT S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
  • EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold

Got everything apart from the GPU and SSD so far, that's still up in the air of what i want to get :)

Onto the potato quality photos!

Seating the ram

3XxDgsK.jpg

Starting on some cable management

Re0yEAf.jpg

Processor arrived!

Ysaf1zK.jpg

Shiny

wK48nvJ.jpg

Fans going in

xZNPPMx.jpg

Kraken going in, the pump seems to be slightly pushing against the ram :(

2iWR6GR.jpg

3HnMAxx.jpg

More to come!

Soldato
looking good. Nice choice with the Silent Wing 3 for the radiators. lot of static pressure and flow, specially with the S340 limited air intake . Found running 900 rpm is just audible 60/70% with them.
Heads up, might of been able to use Shadow Wing fans for the exhaust- would have saved a bit of cash and just perform slightly behind the Silent Wing ones.
Got the Strix board myself, just wishing it came with the shield cover for the audio section of the board. Hero in my view looks better the the Maximus series this time around. Looking forwrad to seeing the finished build!

Will you be using NZXT Grid+ for fan control ?

Associate
OP
Will you be using NZXT Grid+ for fan control ?

Not sure really, do you have it, is it worth it?

--

With regard to fans so far I have the 2 rad fans plugged into the connector that comes with the X62, thats what the instructions said to do anyway :)

The other top and back fan I just have plugged into CHA_1 and CHA_2 for now figured that was the easiest route but ideally id have all those wires totally out of sight but ive dont a pertty good job of hiding everything so far.

On a side note the build quality and premium feel of those Silent Wings is top notch.

Associate
OP
Has anyone had a similar issue with the X62 pump tubes pressing the ram slightly? ideally I dnot wantr to move it, because the NZXT logo will be the wrong way round :)

Also while im asknig questions, anyone had issues with USB3 cable coming frmo the elite case, the connector you plug into the mobo is bloody huge and hard to hide! (Not pictured)

Soldato
...anyone had issues with USB3 cable coming frmo the elite case, the connector you plug into the mobo is bloody huge and hard to hide! (Not pictured)

Everybody who's tried to do a visually good job with that damn USB3 cable has always had problems. Even the motherboards that have the 20-pin socket at a right angle still has this massive black thing jutting out.

If you have space, you could try a low-profile USB3 extension (can't link to one for competitors reasons) so it's almost invisible on the board, then shove the chunky plug out of sight somewhere.

Soldato
Nice :)

Since you've got the Kraken and CAM software needed no point in the Grid+ as you'll see when you get around to the software :)

Got any ram heatsinks for the 960?

Soldato
Ive seen some that I might buy, some nice black ones that should suit it nicely!

This kinda thing, https://i.imgur.com/9AXP3TJ.jpg

UPDATE - GPU arrived today, I stupidly bought the wrong one. RMAing it to buy the higher clocked version :D

You could flash the bios or just manually overclock it ?

keep in mind all Pascal GPUs are voltage locked so all hit the same speeds - specially under water. Strix do have a Modded Bios that can push the voltage if you know were to look for it .
chasing numbers might not be worth the cost .

Associate
OP
True, I'll look into that thanks.

NEXT STEPS - Once the GPU is in, there's going to be a big session on cable tidying around the back and start to add in some of the white features to create this ghoster!

White cable mod flex to start with plus a few more ideas I've got.... :)

Soldato
flashing is a bit extreme but you may find it will overclock just as well, main difference in the bios/versions are allowing more power to be applied.
set up a custom fan profile and should be able to have a good overclock :)

Back
Top Bottom