Project Inspired by iB

Associate
OP
I've looked at using solid pipes on my build as well but the problem I saw was getting everything lined up in straight lines which would mean having to find and source differant sized spacers.

Your doing a lot of work but have you considered getting a custom made power curcuit pcb to reduce cable clutter? I saw some guy xtermesystems use one to great effect on a lian li build, it looks intimadating for novices but really works well for cases which don't have kuch in the way of cable management holes.

Yeah I know that most of the tubing runs will be difficult and I am going to need a lot of angled fittings and spacers but I think the end result will be worth the effort and money, if everything was easy it would also be boring for me.

Can't say I've even heard of a custom PCB to reduce cable clutter, do you have a link?

Thanks.

Associate
OP
WOW, that is absolutely crazy!

To advanced for me unfortunately but massive kudos to him! Looks outstanding :O

Maybe in prep for my next build I'll look into making custom PCBs but for now its wayyyy out of my league.

Thanks for sharing:)

Associate
OP
Argh! what a nightmare the past week has been :( There was a pretty serious fault in the house electrical circuit which meant getting out an electrician and also meant ripping up the floor boards to try and find the fault, expensive and time consuming.

I wanted to get started on the SSD enclosures which meant using a dremel but with the electrics tripping every few minutes I couldn't progress much

Damn life for getting in the way of my modding progress.

Anyways I did manage to sleeve the 24 pin and I've started painting the case.

The stock 24 pin, this picture was taken so I had a reference for the pin layout.

stock24pin.jpg

Some of the thinner wires came straight out of the pin and left the pin still in the connector :( Nothing a drill and 2mm drill bit couldn't sort out though :D

pinstuck.jpg

a lot of high end PSU's now have double wires, meaning that two wires connect into one pin which makes them really differcult to sleeve and ugly, so to avoid the ugliness at the connector ends (where you'd see it) I cut the wires apart and soldered them back together in the middle of the wire, this part of the wire will be behind the motherboard tray out of sight.

solderedwire.jpg

damndoublewires.jpg

A quick look at the 24 pin connected to the mobo, most of the 24 pin wont be visible as it'll go straight under the mobo and behind the mobo tray :)

moboand24pin.jpg

I've been priming the case bits with etching primer....My ghetto 'washing line' to hang my case parts for painting using clamps and paracord.

washinglineofcasebits.jpg

I've decided to have the roof panel machine cut for a price of £25 rather than cut it myself as it's cheaper than a replacement panel and I know it'll look awesome. My design has been sent off :) I'm pretty excited! just hope I measured everything correctly...

Thanks for looking. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looks fantastic! Really makes me want to stop cheaping out by buying pre-braided extensions!!

What size cutting discs do dremmels take? If its something I stock at work I'll grab a few boxes for aspiring modders, will be more durable then the discs Dremmel are likely to send you ;)

Yeah sleeving is pretty easy most of the time (except those pesky double wires!) and cheap too. 300ft of paracord cost me £15 ;)

The discs are 38mm x 1mm, if you happen to find any suitable discs then fire me a PM and we can sort something out :cool:

Associate
OP
I'm buying PC bits as and when I can, here's a small selection I received yesturday and today.

2 x 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD's
The first HD7950
16GB (4 x 4GB) Samsung Green 1600Mhz DDR3
Arctic Cooling MX-4 for the GPU's

goodiesr.jpg

The first HD7950 I ordered was a HIS reference card, but unfortunately it has a green PCB and although the backplate covers most of it you can still see some of the PCB near the crossfire fingers. I'll be returning it under DSR.

The HIS card:

his7950.jpg

The MSI Card: (Brown PCB will have to do :p )

msi7950.jpg

A look at how the card looks with the backplate, I like it :)

gpuwithbackplate.jpg

This Samsung green RAM is TINY!:

acomparison.jpg

I also bought a Antec PSU tester to make sure I didn't mess up the wire layout or soldering, all seems good :)

psutester.jpg

I've not just been shopping ;) I've also been painting, all the priming is done, I will need to sand everything before the gloss black goes on, it's going quite well so far

smoothprimer.jpg

I've given my GTX480 to a friend as he was using a HD5450 so now I'm using the MSI HD7950. I couldn't resist a little overclocking :D
Turns out its pretty good, 1100Mhz with 1.060V Unigine Heaven stable, I'll continue testing tomorrow.

Thanks for looking :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ah I meant to get back to you on this!

We don't stock 38mm discs unfortunately, smallest we have is 50mm with a mounting centre of ~6mm. If they sound like they may fit (I don't know how the balance of the tool will react with the extra 12mm) let me know and I'll grab a few for you to test.

I'm surprised Dremel's are relatively well built, they're owned by Bosch who make absolutely terrible power tools - Which isn't something you can say about many German manufacturers :)

Ah ok mate no worries, I don't think discs with a mounting centre of 6mm would work.

I've got a set of dremels discs now and they are much better than the cheap discs that are included with the dremel, though they are quite expensive (£20 for 12 discs).

Associate
OP
Thanks HenryParry

The top panel has been cut and will be with me on Thursday, I'm very excited to see it! :D

Unfortunately I'll be poor for about a month :/ so apart from this Thursday there won't be any updates for awhile.

Anyway thanks for looking as always :)

Associate
OP
Hey guys,

Top panel has arrived! I'm very happy with the results, Obviously massive thanks to Tom at Pulsemodding who's done an excellent job I'm sure you'll agree. :D
I was very relieved to find that my dimensions were correct and the radiator fits (tested with my 240 rad).

Pic's:

toppanel01.jpg

toppanel02.jpg

toppanel03.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Oh cool! That custom top looks pretty damn awesome.
Thanks mate, I really like it too ;)
May i ask how you mounted the backplate to the PCB? It looks really nice!
It wasn't actually mounted on the card when I took the pic, just placed ontop, I will most likely be using thermal pads or Velcro to secure the backplates.
Nice design there, that back PCB board is something special though :)
:)

Back
Top Bottom