Project Kidge - Rebuild

Small update

20130213_201102_zpscd5c710e.jpg

(Excuse the lazy photo) Took advantage of OCUK's today only offer and purchased myself 8Gb of Samsung Green. Read some great reviews on it and hear it has great overclocking potential. Plus replaced some 4Gb Mustang RAM (never heard of Mustang before??)

Anyway im testing out WHS 2011 on VM player on my machine and kept getting low memory warnings.....wonder why ??? haha shouldnt happen now.

Will look to overclock this in the future after the build is complete.

Plussss...........

20130213_200910_zps985afad0.jpg

I had a crack at braiding a cable tonight. First time I've ever attempted it and I'd say it wasnt a bad effort to be fair. It's fairly tight, only down side is i burnt the shrink slightly whilst watching man u vs real.........oooops.

Sorry it's been a while but I've got a small update:

I've been making cardboard templates tonight for a PSU cover/Lightbox.

Here's two of the idea's i've come up with and like but wanted some feedback on which to go for. I plan to visit an acrylic plastic supplier this weekend in hope to get it cut and bent.

Idea 1

IMAG02011_zps2cb5c034.jpg

IMAG02001_zpsb69f5068.jpg

My first idea is pretty simple and keeps a good amount of airflow whilst hiding all the horrible cables.

Idea 2

IMAG02031_zps76477c54.jpg

IMAG02021_zps244af77d.jpg

The second idea I personally think will reduce airflow quite a lot. I then thought that maybe I could either put a fan in the 5 1/2" cage above or cut the bending acrylic to mount a fan there.

I'd also like to point out that when the final one is made it will fit the length of the case.

Once I have the PSU Cover/Lightbox sorted I'll then crack on with cutting a window in my side panel, put in a smoke black tinted window and some LED's.

What does everyone think - open to constructive criticism, just go easy on me :D

Ah good shout definilogy!

I did think of removing them and then placing them at the bottom of the case, under the cover but would they get too hot?

You will need a moderate air flow to pass through the HDDs to keep it cool enough.

I see that you have 3 empty 5.25" bay so that this might be useful for you:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-345-LL&groupid=2362&catid=2792

Personally, I have used the GUP Japan Smart Drive to mount my 3.5" HDD onto the 5.25".

They are really the best HDD passive cooler and uncoupler you can find, but they are very hard to find in the UK, drop me a trust message if you want one ;)

Idea 1
A fan in 5.25" bays will flow air straight toward the CPU cooler. Works very well. Could still move HDDs up to for better airflow to GPU as well as remove unused PCI slot covers to improve airflow around GPU.

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll go for idea 1 and also look to move the HDDs up to the 5.25 bays.

definilogy, I've had a look in to those GUP Japan drives but they're a bit pricey £70 - £80 a go? Or am I looking at the wrong thing as it only holds one HDD?

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll go for idea 1 and also look to move the HDDs up to the 5.25 bays.

definilogy, I've had a look in to those GUP Japan drives but they're a bit pricey £70 - £80 a go? Or am I looking at the wrong thing as it only holds one HDD?

Not many places stock them so you need to know where to look.

Brand New will cost you GBP60 each (around).

And yes - it only holds 1 HDD.

That is their bad point, but the good thing about this is it contains a heatsink to cool the HDD, while it has uncoupling foam around the HDD to make your HDD virtually silent.

Sorry to be that guy who revives an ancient thread but I finally got around to making some of the mods I mentioned many moons ago:

Still not completely finished as I'm going to make a backplate for the GPU out of the same acrylic sheet, I've got some black smoked tinted acrylic for a window and also plan to install some lighting.

PS sorry for the potato photo's

looks good.
yea I also started out with a pretty bad case for cable management then I signed up here and my wife started hiding the bank card...
since Ive been on here ive bought an ssd,bought a corsair h80i, ive went from a rubbish case to a phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, went from an AMD FX 6350 to an 8350 with a 990fx sabertooth board and now ive went to an i5 4690k build plus other stuff I cant think off hand... my sons dont complain.. the youngest gets the haribos and the oldest gets my old part fitted into his machine..

It's always great to see long-term evolution of builds, so thanks for the update.

Some colour-coded cable extensions would really finish off the cosmetics nicely!

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread however I have updated my rig since my last post and didn't want to create a whole new thread for it.

I've updated my machine with the below parts as I've been studying for my MCSA which I only have 70-412 to go :)

Parts List:

1. Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass in Black - £ 115 OcUK B Grade
2. Phanteks LED Strip - £16 OcUK
3. Asus X99-DELUXE/U3.1 Motherboard & Intel i7-5960X - £550 second hand
4. Kingston HyperX DDR4 32Gb Quad Channel - £100 OcUK
5. EVGA Supernova P2 850W - £120 from rainforest
5. Bitfenix EVG Series White - £75 OcUK

Pictures:

Love the look of the white sheilding on black motherboard PCB.

EVGA power supply which was recommended by some of you guys on here due to my XFX one having a coil whine. This oozes quality from the packaging to the unit itself.

First cable management attempt as this case has a glass panel either side. I think I've done a pretty good job with it.

Rest of the components installed. That 7850 just looks out of place in this build, plus the LED sag at the top really annoys me.

And finally, all powered up and on my desk.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom