Project: LavaStone Nimitz-03 (04-08-06)

Associate
OP
I didnt prime the MDF as such, I just gave a real heavy coat of the Black spray then sanded it back, did the job to seal the MDF.

Most primers are a water/acryllic based paint anyway, which is what the spray Ive been using is :)

Sandmaster500: No there will not be a grill on the other side, it will have the sidepanel put back on, but that panel has a large section cut out of it to give better airflow, and allow me to see in if needs be. wont really affect the looks of the system because it will be against the wall, comme ca:

frontquater.jpg

as for the fans - they are Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000's they are absolutley silent, and on that test last night the air being pushed through the rad is more than adequate on the denser fins of the HE120 rad :)

thanks for the comments though, more to come over the weekend I hope :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
well the delivery guy turned up thi morning, but it required a signature and I was asleep, so I wont be able to pick the rest of my gear up until monday :mad:

have made a start with the copper tho, will post an update later...

Soldato
gr1mey said:
well the delivery guy turned up thi morning, but it required a signature and I was asleep, so I wont be able to pick the rest of my gear up until monday :mad:

have made a start with the copper tho, will post an update later...
:( Mate i feel your pain, this happens to me all the time.

Mark

Associate
OP
Well yesterday I didnt get very much done on my project, but I did help my friend build his very first PC, a nice little system he picked up for £300 was stripped and tranferred into my old Antec P180...

andy_pc.JPG

andy_pc_close.JPG

andy_pc_front.JPG

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Back onto the main project, and I did manage to get a bit of pipework done, here you can see 4 elbows that I soldered, those tails are too long at the moment and will be shortened when I go for the main installation, also the two blocks I already have, the NeXxXoS XP and Swiftech MCW60 - the NB Block was in the parcel that I missed collection of :mad:

elbows_blocks.JPG

here you can see a shot of the tower and the radbox together, the pump is now firmly secured in the box, and the box and tower and now bolted together - its already damn heavy lol.

tower_box_bolted.JPG

this is a shot of the mounted PA120.2 Rad, I changed the side on which the fans were mounted, before they were on the exterior side, but I think I ike this way a bit better :)

Notice that I drilled a hole in the offside of the 5.25" rack for easier cable management.

120_2_mounted.JPG

Associate
OP
Here are pics of a quick but necessary mod I had to make to my Eudemon fan controller; in my previous setup the top two 5.25" bays were rendered useless by the big radiator in the top of the case, however the Eudemon unit would only JUST not fit, so the mod to make it fit was quite easily done.

eudemon_mod.JPG

before that board with the memory battery on was mounted horizontally, so the mod was simple, drill out the standoffs that it was screwed to, then drill 2 new holes and bolt the thing on further towards the front, and with some new bolts - easy :)

here you can see that it now fits nicely:

eudemon_in.JPG

it will look much nicer in the top slot, then in the third like it was before, and of course it frees up another 5.25" bay for my new Repack Res.

lastly here is a rough working diagram I drew out as my proposed loop; the pink line is the dedicated CPU loop running off the HE120.3/Ehiem1250 and the yellow is the VGA/NB loop running off the PA120.2/DDC-Plexi.

loop_diag.JPG

thats it for now, Im gonna start to move the bits from the ATCs 110 back into the TJ-03, fit the blocks and generally get prepared for the final push early next week. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I share the same comments as Khan, above me :) I thought it was going to be easy. Looks can be decieving.
Brilliant log and work. I can see it's well planned with the final result I predict to surpass expectations. Bravo :)

Associate
OP
thnks :)

yeah its a bit more work than it looks, I just thought that having hard-plumbed pipe rather than tubing would add something a bit different to the whole thing :)

Soldato
Good to see my bits going towards another project! I want to do another project:( As for where to post project logs, I found bit-tech and ocuk both good as there were various perspectives that were interesting to hear. My project log in the case central archive is huge.

Soldato
gurdas said:
Good to see my bits going towards another project! I want to do another project:( As for where to post project logs, I found bit-tech and ocuk both good as there were various perspectives that were interesting to hear. My project log in the case central archive is huge.

Yeh, thats the last good one before the modding community on here ran away to other forums. :(

Brilliant mod though Gr1mey, bar thinking the rad box would look better with a solid metal grill for the inlet cover instead of what its got, nothing else I would have done differently and certainly beats my standard of workmanship.

Superb mod.

Associate
OP
Well I went to pick up my bits from the Sorting Office this morning, and all was well except the barbs I ordered were missing :mad: :mad:

This is about the worst thing that could be missing, as it means I cannot cut any pipe to length until I have them mounted on the block/res.

They also missed the 2nd bottle of Water Wetter I orderd :mad:

But on the positive side, I have got the NB SLi Block and the repack res mounted, and the final holes in the case drilled; so hopefully tomorrow evening I can really push forward close to completion of this project.

Stay Tuned :)

Soldato
Yewen said:
Yeh, thats the last good one before the modding community on here ran away to other forums. :(

Aye it used to be so buzzing in here, iver athlon, phil, gordy, paintguy etc. all produced amazing things time and time again. But i'm afraid i'm guilty of laziness myself, I really want to pick up the drill and file again:(

Soldato
gurdas said:
Aye it used to be so buzzing in here, iver athlon, phil, gordy, paintguy etc. all produced amazing things time and time again. But i'm afraid i'm guilty of laziness myself, I really want to pick up the drill and file again:(

Then hop to it!

Really good the modding has started again. Not really wanting massive mods on here but a mix of the Project Android style and people adding blowholes / rads here and there.

More the merrier, come on you have to get inspired to do something. ;)

Associate
OP
Little progress update...

Well thankfully the bits that were missing from my order turned up today, so I fitted the barbs and got on with it.

First I installed the motherboard onto the tray, and put the GFX card in place.

Ive decided against running the copper through one of the 80mm fan holes, and I will actually put 2 x 80mm fans there (even if I dont use them) I just think it will help with the whole look of the interior.

anyway Ive cut most of the pipe for the CPU loop, and here it is at about 70% done stage, few more joints to solder, and as you can see a bit of cleaning to do on the pipes ;)

Im still not decided on whether I should paint the pipes - maybe black with the fittings red? or vice versa? or I could even do them UV red and buy some UV cathodes, IM just not sure, anyway on with pics:

side_wide.JPG

side_close.JPG

^^ notice here that Ive also got the PowerPlant II installed, and all wired up, and most of all, working.
front_q.JPG

^^ theres the lovely repack res, Ive got a super bright 5mm red LED that will illuminate the water in there - I just need to wire it up...it will be connected into the spare port on the Rheobus in the radbox - the wires will be secured to the res outlet and down through that hole in the bottom of the case.

Thats about it for now, I will post some pics later on when hopefully the CPU loop will be complete.

:)

Back
Top Bottom