Project : Primo Midas

Associate
OP
The carbon looks great. I'd go for some black or black/gold braided cables, though, for a bit of contrast.

I'm now having second thoughts about my yellow sleeving, I think the Vanilla Sands colour and black now.

nxqZNX0.jpg

Yeah Petey I'm worried it'll maybe be overpowering but I really have to see the build dry installed first. There will be a fair bit of black tubing to contrast off.

Soldato
You did a nice job installing it and I'm sorry.. but I have to say it. It looks more like black/gold checker than "carbon fiber". There is no 3rd dimension in it,
it's too shiny and colour doesn't match motherboard gold.. at least that's the way it looks in the pictures.

But than I'm a picky barsteward so just ignore me. :D

Associate
OP
Ok some for, some against, here is the option that I thought was too gold ! I only have a small sample A4 piece, here what do you think of this one? It does seem to match the motherboard's very yellow/gold appearance.

I've only done the gromit/cable cover so you can get an idea of the difference between the two.

QIKB8Me.jpg
O2pCJL7.jpg
XPHhdPS.jpg
oytfRie.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks really nice, however, I think the gold elements of this build should be highlights, not main swathes.
Just enough to set it off.

I had a similar dilemma with my build where it would've been easy to go nuts with the green.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input guys, like I said before its easily removed and just testing some ideas.

Here are the fans with a subtle change... I was thinking of removing the grey rubber gromits and painting them also.

HmmAshR.jpg
B0B0LWu.jpg

Soldato
Ok some for, some against, here is the option that I thought was too gold ! I only have a small sample A4 piece, here what do you think of this one? It does seem to match the motherboard's very yellow/gold appearance.

I've only done the gromit/cable cover so you can get an idea of the difference between the two.

QIKB8Me.jpg
O2pCJL7.jpg
XPHhdPS.jpg
oytfRie.jpg
Use the gold only on the metal of reservoir bracket and leave the plastic cover black.

Yeah, Highlight in gold.

I like the fans.

Maybe do the end PCI slot covers in gold too??

Edit:
Black the fan screw heads with felt marker.. Will have to take them out to do it but will look much better. IMO

Or paint screws gold and mounts black. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks very nice :cool:

As for being too much, no

I think it will look even better once everything is installed :)

As doyll said - Black screws or paint them gold.

Nice work sir.

Associate
OP
Well today I had a delivery..... I now realise the vertical gromit cover plastic section will have to be removed to fit the cards/blocks. So its gonna look slightly different. I've ordered some black 4D carbon for a tester, I just can't get away from it folks I just like the look. It's supposed to be textured also so will give it a go for you to see.

hrA12DS.jpg
Some lovely LIDL packaging paper included lol
9SdEGYm.jpg
8uN3V0A.jpg
wa9w1JA.jpg
wa9w1JA.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
*UPDATE*

Ok I decided to chop some more off the optical bay side panel. I really want the rad and fans to be in full view, otherwise what's the point of that little side window right ?
As you can see I also removed the plastic cover from the vertical cable cover, this allows you to fit a longer gfx card.
Just for fun I mocked in my old refrence gtx 680 and a gtx 680 Direct CU II which as you can see from the last image is too big and you'd need to remove the whole cable/gromit cover to accommodate that bad boy. Hope that's a wee reference for anyone who would be using those parts. Of course mine will have the 780 ti's.

One other thing. Something my cousin pointed out yesterday, "Aye it's looking good, but whit yie doin' aboot those 140 fans min?"

Had to laugh, totally forgot to order AF140's..... cheers Bof !

Oh forgot something else, my damaged rad has been replaced and is on its way, thanks OcUK

HdPOb27.jpg

GTX 680 Ref leaves you with 20mm space
WzuMScs.jpg

GTX 680 Direct Cu II (Needs about another 25mm for clearance, so that panel would have to come out)
at3CjsW.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My replacement rad arrived at 5pm, excellent turn around OcUK. So got them both in the case now, little bit of an issue trying to get the lower one to line up with the screw holes on the underside (guess that's because I'm using too wide a rad officially.)

I've also done some subtle changes....

AWA7INb.jpg
XsxpmwY.jpg
YVVah8N.jpg

Back
Top Bottom