Project : Purple Rain

ION

ION

Associate
Just wondering but what company did you use to get the powder coat? and how much did it end up costing you? I only ask as i'm looking to get a one myself as live near bristol.

Last edited:
Associate
Chances are he wont be able to say in here, cant mention competitors... even if its for powder coating and not a direct competitor :p Try emailing him via trust :)

Never heard of Tacens before, some pretty smart looking products. Not too sure on the cases though... especially the ones with the 40cm side fan!!!

Man of Honour
OP
Update time again :)

Braiding, a neccessary part of any build.

But what colour ?

Black was too obvious. Purple would have been too much for my liking. So i set off to search for a mixture of both.

Techflex came to my rescue :)

Saw this braiding on their website and decided that it was perfect.

They very generously sent me a reel from America for this build, so a massive thanks to Techflex for their support.

braidreel.jpg

braidcloseup.jpg

120 foot of top quality braiding goodness.

Now the time consuming part :(

Braiding an entire PSU, Sata cables, molexes, fan extension cables...........the list goes on and on.

Old school braiding workshop ;

Stanley knife
Very small precision screwdriver ( for pin removal )
Lighter ( for heatshrink )
Insulting tape ( to wrap around the pins to stop snagging when threading through the braiding )

braidding1desk.jpg

Purple Heatshrink

heatshrink.jpg

Many hours later, and very sore thumbs :

braidedcables1.jpg

1 double Pci-E cable and a molex chain done......... Well, its a start !

Plenty more to keep me busy.

Man of Honour
OP
A few pics of the build, as it stands.

braidsatacable.jpg

casein2.jpg

New PSU ( Birthday present to myself ! ), Silverstone Decathlon DA850.

casein1.jpg

The next 2 show the fixings i am using ( simple screw covers ) as i was not keen on the look of thumbscrews, something different anyway.

casefrontface.jpg

casefront.jpg

Replaced the original silver switches with black vandal switches with white LED rings. (Will be fitting white 5mm LEDs in the 2 small holes)

Had a Fansis fan controller powdercoted at the same time, just need to change the 3mm LEDs from Blue to White to keep the theme going.

And finally the stealthed DVD drive ( test fitted - Will need to either spray the bare grey casing or hide it as you can see it inside ).

Thanks for looking, and any comments or critique are always welcomed.

Cheers,

Mark

Associate
WOW looks awesome m8, love the cables the braiding looks like it was done by the psu manufacturer, i've only tried it once with a cheap kit and it looked rubbish :( and i have to say the rest of the build is to the same very high standard great work all round :D

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the replies :)

Back again with a small update :)

Finally finished the bulk of the PSU cable braiding, just the fan extensions and odds and sods left to do.

braidingg.jpg

Next up was my hard drives.

Liked the shape of these coolers, but wrong colour for my build.

xigmatekhddcooler.jpg

So, out came the spray cans.

hddsweb.jpg

Thanks to the Post Office for the free 'Dent Mod' they gave me :rolleyes:

hddtop.jpg

Whilst i was spraying them i decided to change a couple of other parts.

Dremelled off the closed corner fans.

fan.jpg

Replaced fans screws with 3mm white LEDs' and bezels.

ledbezel.jpg

ledweb.jpg

Associate
Looks pretty smart! Nice idea with the LEDs in the screw holes too :p

One question though. Im currently doing a bit of braiding and all going fine, but how the hell do you do that HDD power cable? Even if I manage to get the pins out all it looks like its gonna be hell to braid with the pins being half way down the cable. You seem to have managed it fine on that last photo of your braiding :)

Back
Top Bottom