Project SM580

Associate
Hi all, I'm back with another ITX project. This time I will be building in a Sliger SM580 case with a full custom water cooling loop with dual radiators.

Thanks to Sliger US and TeamGroup Inc./T-Force for sponsoring this project!

It might take a while to complete, as I have to get hold of a RTX 3080 reference to complete it.

A bit about the hardware:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (I might update to 5900X)
MB: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-I Gaming
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 Founders Edition
RAM: T-Force XTREEM RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
SSD: T-Force DELTA MAX 250GB + TeamGroup MP34 1TB NVME + Patriot VPN100 2TB NVME
PSU: Corsair SF750
CASE: SLIGER SM580 WHITE

And the watercooling bits:

CPU Block: EK-Quantum Velocity D-RGB - AMD Nickel + Plexi
GPU Block: Alphacool EISBLOCK AURORA GPX-N RTX 3080 FOUNDERS EDITION
PUMP+RES: EK-XRES 100 DDC MX 3.1 PWM
RADS: EK-CoolStream SE 280 + EK-CoolStream SE 120
FANS: 2 x NOCTUA CHROMAX NF-A14 PWM + 2 X NOCTUA CHROMAX NF-A12x15
CONTROLLER: Aquacomputer QUADRO
FITTINGS: Barrow

Pics to follow!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So the original plan was to use an EK-CoolStream CE 280 on top, which is 45mm thick. I had to revisit that plan, as I didn't have room to place the combo / res with it and ended up using a SE 280 instead. However since both CE and SE radiators have a very square body, in order to fit in the SM580, you have to remove 2 of the side panel mounting holes.

Easy solution is unscrew the bolts and file down the screw on the top/back side panels and then drill the holes in the chassis sides and file down the screw holders at the top back. Then, to allow the panels to stay in place, I used 1mm thick magnets, and they work perfectly.

2gFLWN7.jpg

eSKGBDU.jpg

8Unz3GT.jpg

MGcURZD.jpg

0MTlb92.jpg

Since there is no much space, everything needs to be planned accordingly. Most of the fan controllers on the market have sockets on the sides so they can be easily mounted behind cases etc. However the QUADRO has 2 things to be aware of: It uses a molex connector and the sockets for it and fans are on top, adding to the total thickness of the controller. So I had to create a 90 degree low profile molex cable in order to fit the QUADRO on the front side of the case.

UGBkSLg.jpg

WDuXPfe.jpg

7zaPbPa.jpg

I chose the QUADRO because all the fans are PWM and so is the PUMP, but especially because of the AQUASUITE software, which in my opinion is the best for fan controller and watercooling accessories.

Associate
OP
I have fixed the pump/res on the front grill of the case using a Barrow DDC holder. The drain will be placed on the inlet port of the pump using a T adapter, is technically not the lower spot on the loop but it should work fine.

zrbQKar.jpg

l9570Gw.jpg

On the MB side, one thing to be aware of is that the ROG STRIX X570-I has a thick IO and M2 cover, so I had to use a double 90 rotary adapter to be able to connect the CPU WB to the top RAD. On this side of the case, I'm using a vented panel, which closes perfectly, however if you use the acrylic clear one it might not close all the way.

XdtlxEg.jpg

It's incredible how much stuff is packed inside the QUADRO, it has 4 temperature sensors, it includes 1 temperature probe which I fixed behind the GPU/MB to give a roughly idea of the case temp, I also ordered a G1/4 Aquacomputer sensor to connect to the 120 RAD in order to get info on the water temp and create fan profiles for it.

diPZMNn.jpg

I will be using 12mm rigid tubes, here's a sketch of how the loop will work out in the end.

wuFGNvb.jpg

2BwRKJH.jpg

One thing to note, is that if you are positioning the pump/res as I did, you will only have about 22.5/23cm clearance for the GPU. This is enough for the RTX3080 reference design, the EK waterblock is 22cm, there is also a Alphacool waterblock which is 22,3cm. The ASUS TUF won't fit if you use a rotary 90 degree adapter on the pump as it is 24.7cm long, it might fit if you use a non rotary angled adaptor. There is possibility that FE cards waterblocks might fit as they seem to be around 20cm, however the EK one has the IN/OUT holes at the end of the card, which then increases the length of the card adding fittings.

Associate
OP
I managed to get an RTX 3080 FE, so will be using that for the build. Alphacool just announced the cooler for the FE and it is only 20.5cm long! Will fit this build perfecly

pbM0oGD.jpg

Associate
OP
nice
EK was supposed to announce some special block for the FE with fittings in the "V" cut out

Yes, but I don't like that kind of design, is not good for ITX cases because it puts more length to the block and also makes routing the tubes more difficult in my opinion.

TBH the corsair block looks very pretty too, but not available yet

Associate
OP
Sorry guys for not updating this thread for over a month. No 3080 FE waterblock was available and I couldn't finish the build. My original plan to go with an EK waterblock has changed for two reasons: not available until mid december, and it costs double the price of the Alphacool block (€270 vs £127) so I preordered the Alphacool one which arrived 2 days ago. Here's a pic of it installed in my system as a work in progress. It's very tiny, perfect for ITX systems!

SgDFONC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom