Project: Some arbitrary name.

Soldato
Going to do another project log, oh, really? This thread wasn't a give away enough, thanks for that explanation Tony :rolleyes::p

It's based around the new Devil's Canyon chips, specifically the 4790k. So wont be finished until that's shown, obviously :D Being built in a Corsair 540 (yes, how very boring)

Spec list:

i7 4790k
Z97 SOC-Force
CF R9 290P
2400mhz CL10TG ram. (probably change to something better, later)
500w SF passive power supply (will run 2, sitting one ontop of the other, cut the case for accommodation, as even though i believe 1 will cut the mustard running stock....who wants to be limited to stock!!)

Watercooled by SR1 240+360 rads, cannot decide on AP15s, SP120s or NB-eLoops. Aquero fan controller, and a D5.

As pics are customary for starting your log, i prepared one! :D
Mock fitted a few things to the case, will be painting the board white, and the backplates of the 290s white. Hopefully get either a white or black acrylic fitted to the bottom to cover up that mess.

8meQCBP.jpg

Caporegime
Subbed mate, this will be interesting. Particularly as you say your gonna paint the board. In a painter and decorator by trade and ill be honest, i wouldn't even have a clue on what to paint a mobo with.:D

Gotta say, its a good looking board as it is. Hopefully DC does arrive in June instead of September as some rumours suggest.

Soldato
OP
Subbed mate, this will be interesting. Particularly as you say your gonna paint the board. In a painter and decorator by trade and ill be honest, i wouldn't even have a clue on what to paint a mobo with.:D

Gotta say, its a good looking board as it is. Hopefully DC does arrive in June instead of September as some rumours suggest.

If it doesn't show by mid June, i'll buy a 4770k tbh.
Will be painting the board with Plastidip ;) Unfortunately OCUK are out of stock of white.

My only gripe, if you can call it that is the case (second hand) was missing a 5.25" cover, and i cannot match the colour using the spray i have, it looks alright from a distance....sorta, but still off. So hopefully my wanted thread gets a bite.

Caporegime
Whack in a dummy optical drive, had the same issue with an akasa eclipse my x58 rig was installed in. Used an old ide optical drive. Board in that rig has no ide port, but it looked a bit better than a gaping hole.:D

And yep, plastidip sounds like good stuff. Might get a few cans to experiment on a few components, armor on my mobo perhaps.

Soldato
tonester! im a moron, i read an email from you a week or so ago and forgot to reply, fire it me again please man as i cant seem to find it, what ever was asked, it will probably be yes!

Soldato
OP
Whack in a dummy optical drive, had the same issue with an akasa eclipse my x58 rig was installed in. Used an old ide optical drive. Board in that rig has no ide port, but it looked a bit better than a gaping hole.:D

And yep, plastidip sounds like good stuff. Might get a few cans to experiment on a few components, armor on my mobo perhaps.

It came with a dummy drive, but looks horrid + I need the brackets removed which hold the drive in place for room. Cables etc, especially if I'm mounting 2 PSUs :)

tonester! im a moron, i read an email from you a week or so ago and forgot to reply, fire it me again please man as i cant seem to find it, what ever was asked, it will probably be yes!

I thought you ignored me :( :p
I was asking about getting some cables made/seeing if you're still doing them.

No idea what my message was in it's entirety as trust messages don't save. Try and find it if you can, I'm 100% certain your cables will be better than these extensions I have lol.

Soldato
OP
Just pre ordered the 4790k, and bought a 4130 as a stand in till then.
Hopefully be getting everything fitted this weekend, wont be painting the board up until the 4790k gets here though :(

Soldato
OP
It's a 6pin PCI-E cable, completely useless but supposed to give the 16x lanes extra juice when fully loaded and overclocked. Looks good though :D

Dave's doing my cables now as well, so these rubbish bitsfenix ones will be chucked (they dont match, annoying really)

Caporegime
Ahh, theres a similair connector on the m6f, (molex iirc) though its located right on the bottom left of the board. Never used it myself when running oc'd sli 670's.

Daves cables are indeed a work of art, used bitfenix ones in blue in a few builds and the blue corsair ones. The latter werent great looking tbh.

Soldato
OP
Ahh, theres a similair connector on the m6f, (molex iirc) though its located right on the bottom left of the board. Never used it myself when running oc'd sli 670's.

Daves cables are indeed a work of art, used bitfenix ones in blue in a few builds and the blue corsair ones. The latter werent great looking tbh.

My blue cables from BF were great, all matched and had matching blue bases as well. These orange ones, you can tell by the picture as well, the 24pin is a very vibrant orange the rest look sun bleached in comparison.

Had AXi1200 black cables before, not a fan on how they felt :o

Soldato
OP
Little update, phone pics as my camera is down the office :(
One little **** up with painting the board, because its a plastic when i was peeling up the masking tape it peeled some of it up with it :x
What made it even worse, when i was test fitting the CPU block when screwing into the backplate the screw decided it would be hilarious and rip up half the coat as well! :roll: So had to paint that back on, very very noticeable.

GPU fitted with my white backplate, douchebag Tone forgot about the black screws though :p There really wasn't much point me buying this 4130, as i wont have time this week to finish and i'm working in Spain next weekend, so when i'm back DC should be here (well...no, but only a few days)

zCeNUKI.jpg
DhMCoHK.jpg
4gZbP3J.jpg
LQlAJw6.jpg
aX2pI8X.jpg
3nRbnFG.jpg

Back
Top Bottom