Project Sykebox: an external cooler for LAN events and style [i7-8086K] [GTX 1070] [18500FireStrike]

Associate
What's this?

A first-time water cooler going way beyond what a first-timer should?

Unthinkable!

Welcome to The Sykebox Project: my quest for the perfect watercooled system, as small as it can possibly be.

XNfRbqA.png

Featuring the logo I made just in case I ever make a business out of these ideas down the road.

The Concept
We all like high performance-per-litre systems, right? Even if you don't build them yourself, or you prefer powerful hardware to look big and imposing, there's something special about a little unassuming aluminium box (mistakable for a NAS at a glance) that can trounce a desk-dominating Corsair Air 740. One day I saw this case being developed over in the States:
LNlnM9k.jpg mY2uVwO.png

Immediately, it was calling out to me to either watercool in it, or re-create its layout in a custom case of my own. Can't you just imagine it? Quick-disconnect ports poking out the back, maybe a handle on top, and you've got a tiny PC with top-tier overclocked hardware that can plug into any cooling system with compatible fluid. The concept is to have a bunch of radiators built into a desk, or wall-mounted or something, with silent fans and pumps which it plugs into when at home, but with a little portable cooling unit with a 280mm rad in push-pull for taking it on the go. Something like this:
C0sl6I0.png
(There were better renders with nicer venting and stuff but this is old and I lost the newer images)

Again, probably with a detachable handle kinda arrangement.

The Build
So the work began! I found a waterblock that could fit my GTX 1070:
VMJITRV.png
And decided that I wanted a super-awesome CPU cooler with a screen, the Cuplex Kryos VISION from Aquacomputer.
1rkspDg.png

I also researched the best-performing push-pull 280 rad, and found that it's a toss-up between the Alphacool Monsta series and the HWLabs Blackice Nemesis GTX. The Blackice is thinner, though, so I went with that, and paired it with four Noctua fans (what else?). The res and pump weren't hard, either, Alphacool makes a pump-res combo kit that can take two small pumps in series and almost fits perfectly into my form factor.

Putting it all together, this is how it sat for a long while as I waited for funds to complete the build:
z5yO1Tu.png
KM7K0mB.png

Part of the res is missing because I removed it to have it cut to size. It was a couple dozen millimetres too long, but if I could make it exactly as long as the fan-face plus a dust filter, it should be perfect. So that's what I did.

Also, I bought all the other stuff I needed for the computer itself.

Specs:
  • i7-8086K
  • Gigabyte z370n-WIFI
  • 16GB TeamGroup Vulcan RAM
  • Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini (was going to upgrade to the identical 1080 but decided to wait for the 1180)
  • WD Black WDS500G2X0C NVMe SSD
I put it all on a test bench, and suddenly I was ready to go! Months of planning came together so quickly I barely realised it was happening.

6KrqBoN.png

Ready to fill! Quick-disconnects attached to a temporary cardboard plate that works surprisingly well.

hdP4DfQ.jpg

Closeup of the pumps, tubing, and wire nest (one of these pumps turned out to be DOA due to a faulty solder)

vlxnot6.jpg
She lives!!

79Jdu57.jpg
Imagine how good this will look once it's in a tiny aluminium case instead of a test bench with cardboard.

KLFwN1g.jpg
I even made it display my custom logo on startup! At all other times it tells me my current CPU temp, and reminds me that I have a limited edition 8086K under there. Even though I had to remove the dead pump, flow rate is fine and the system is pretty quiet. Not silent by any means, but that's the point of the quick-disconnect concept: in the future I'll be plugging into a truly silent cooling system when at home, and using this unit for LAN events and suchlike.

That's all for now!

Please leave any suggestions, advice, feedback, etc that occurs to you. Like I said, I'm new to watercooling!

My 8086K is running at 5.1GHz 5.2GHz on all cores. My GPU turbos up to 2113MHz.

I will be prototyping both cases as soon as I can, but I don't know when that will be. If anyone has any experience or advice in this regard please do get in touch!

Syke Jr (aka Ganelon) out.

fXW7CAc.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
d6Zuqec.png

Edit: updated Firestrike score; I bumped my CPU to 5.2GHz!

I4uUvvW.png
Edit 2: oops, I pegged the fans and pump at max and my hand slipped on the GPU overclock

Last edited:
Soldato
What clock speed does your GPU boost to during Firestrike? My 1070 gets 500 more graphics points but only boosts to about 2000, seemed like a terrible clocker.

Fantastic concept, I really like both the CRAZY compactness, and the idea of being a portable or desk loop

Associate
OP
What clock speed does your GPU boost to during Firestrike? My 1070 gets 500 more graphics points but only boosts to about 2000, seemed like a terrible clocker.

Fantastic concept, I really like both the CRAZY compactness, and the idea of being a portable or desk loop

Thanks! I didn't check what it boosted to in Firestrike, but in Heaven it was pegging at 2126MHz. I had it a little higher before but it wasn't stable.

Edit: The card's max boost was 2114 according to FireStrike and 2113 according to GPU-Z.

It might be something to do with the fact that this is still a mini card; even though it's clocked higher than yours, it probably has less to work with to push frames.

I might try messing with the voltage to see if I can push it a little more, but to be honest there's no real point, it's not a flagship card. Once there's a 1180 mini card, and a waterblock for it, that's getting slapped in here anyway.

I also plan to make a portable monitor/keyboard mini-briefcase thing akin to the DIY Perks custom monitor tutorial. For the ultimate LAN setup.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok I really want to see this finished :)

Unfortunately I think Heaven takes a reading and just shows that one initial sample, or at least that's what Valley does for me. If I alt+tab out to MSI Afterburner, it shows the consistent boost speed is lower than the startup reading.

Last edited:
Soldato
Change thermal pads on that board. Had it myself and VRM hit 109c with 8700k clocked to 5.1ghz and fully Water-cooling .
Need good airflow . Downside of ITX, can't get enough heatsink space

Associate
OP
Change thermal pads on that board. Had it myself and VRM hit 109c with 8700k clocked to 5.1ghz and fully Water-cooling .
Need good airflow . Downside of ITX, can't get enough heatsink space

That's good advice, thanks. Can I attach the VRM heatsinks with thermal paste instead of thermal pads? I've heard that can aid cooling on a lot of motherboards.

Could you also maybe point out which part(s) I should worry about most? I might get new, better heatsinks as well.

Soldato
That's good advice, thanks. Can I attach the VRM heatsinks with thermal paste instead of thermal pads? I've heard that can aid cooling on a lot of motherboards.

Could you also maybe point out which part(s) I should worry about most? I might get new, better heatsinks as well.

Just those VRMs , problem with using paste is you'd have to make sure you've gotten exact bolt length to secure Custom Heatsink or stock one. Just easier to use Thermal Girzzly pads or like what i did and use 17 (kwm?) -(forgot the unit measurement ) from alphacool but ££££

Associate
OP
Really love the concept, small form has always had a special place in my heart.

What QDCs are you using there?

Glad you like it :) Hopefully I'll have an update soon. Going through financial complications at the moment.

If you're referring to the pumps, they're Alphacool DC-LT pumps, and only one of them worked, which turned out fine. They're made specifically to fit into the Alphacool Repack bayres. I modified mine as I mentioned to make it fit into the form factor.

Soldato
Glad you like it :) Hopefully I'll have an update soon. Going through financial complications at the moment.

If you're referring to the pumps, they're Alphacool DC-LT pumps, and only one of them worked, which turned out fine. They're made specifically to fit into the Alphacool Repack bayres. I modified mine as I mentioned to make it fit into the form factor.

Nope, I thought you were using quick disconnects :D

Associate
OP
Nope, I thought you were using quick disconnects :D

Ahh! I'm using the Koolance ones, which IMO look the best, plus you can buy them with compression fittings built-in. So the inside (male) one is a normal G1/4 because I don't know for sure what the loop will look like in the end, but the outer (female) ones are 13/10 fitted to save as much space as possible. I'm planning to subtly colour-code one of them on both ends so I know what the loop order is without thinking.

Soldato
Ahh! I'm using the Koolance ones, which IMO look the best, plus you can buy them with compression fittings built-in. So the inside (male) one is a normal G1/4 because I don't know for sure what the loop will look like in the end, but the outer (female) ones are 13/10 fitted to save as much space as possible. I'm planning to subtly colour-code one of them on both ends so I know what the loop order is without thinking.

Nice, I like them also t but the black ones still seem to have that corrosion issue. I went with Thermaltake, they’re expensive but very well built. Don’t look anywhere nice as yours though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom