Prometheus 2 - what we know so far

Caporegime
For the sake of the Aliens franchise they would be better off pulling a Star Trek and disregarding everything bar the first two, and then start again.

Except there's no reason to do this. They are under no compulsion to make more films in the "franchise". Alien and Aliens are pretty much excellent in their respective genres, so why remake them? Are they really going to be improved upon by, I don't know, CGI instead of the model APC in Aliens, or more modern computer technology in Alien? Does anyone watch Alien and think "Man, this film would be awesome if only that computer looked more futuristic instead of looking like a ZX Spectrum from the 80s."?

Well, maybe they do, but if so, they're a moron and I don't want to meet them. They probably don't even know what a ZX Spectrum is. Damn kids. Get off my lawn.

Soldato
Alien and Aliens are in a totally different league to Prometheus. I've not seen Alien 3 in ages, so can't say for sure. Alien Resurrection was worse than Prometheus, though, I'll grant you.
Alien 3 in a way is the best.

Amazing cast, great acting & a good story - highly highly under-rated.

On the subject of Prometheus, I quite enjoyed it to be honest - but that may be the result of loving any science fiction/with a bit of horror (a genre which get's little love now days)

Last edited:
Soldato

On the subject of Prometheus, I quite enjoyed it to be honest - but that may be the result of loving any science fiction/with a bit of horror (a genre which get's little love now days)

Certainly not the best, well not in my opinion. However, I certainly agree that it is highly under-rated. I would imagine that quite a few people who found it to be rubbish, only saw the theatrical cut. That's Fox's fault though, for being a bunch of dumb idiots. The director's cut (which Fincher had nothing to do with) was much better. It could have been a film to rival the previous films had the production not been so troubled, and had Fincher been allowed to do what he wanted, and not have his hands tied.

Soldato
Makes me wonder what it would have turned out like if they followed one of the other scripts and Hicks was still alive.

So many great british actors in Alien 3 though.
The directors cut makes a hell of a lot more sense and improves it.

Should forget all this malarkey about whether Prometheus has any relations to the aliens films or not and Prometheus 2 should just deliver and show how the Aliens truly came into existence with straight story telling instead of just hinting and tying up once and for all about the crashed alien ship in Alien to where the alien "homeworld is".

Never mind where or not the ship(s) in Prometheus are the same as the one in Alien just make sense of the whole damn Prometheus mess.

I`m 50/50 with the film some of it I love, some I hate, and some of it the characters are downright stupid cannon fodder.

Man of Honour
but that may be the result of loving any science fiction/with a bit of horror

A common problem with fans of any genre, but probably most pronounced with SF fans: they belief that anything in their genre is automatically great, and automatically the equal of anything else. Hence Trufans saying, with a straight face, that (say) Asimov is just as good as Austen. It took Theodore Sturgeon (who was a good(ish) writer) to point out the truth about percentages.

Sadly, it's also one of the main things which allows the overall quality of SF on TV and film to be so woeful. When bad SF is greeted as rapturously as good (and frequently even more rapturously) it's not exactly an incentive to get better.

Soldato
Does anyone watch Alien and think "Man, this film would be awesome if only that computer looked more futuristic instead of looking like a ZX Spectrum from the 80s."?

Well, maybe they do, but if so, they're a moron and I don't want to meet them. They probably don't even know what a ZX Spectrum is. Damn kids. Get off my lawn.

:D:D:D

v0n

v0n

Soldato

Alien 3 is not a bad movie, per se. It's just not a good Alien movie. It practically destroyed the franchise. Everything introduced in it led to complete destruction of the storyline culminating in AvP world.

Alien 3 had multiple drafts and multiple writers. None of which agreed with each other, so as a middle ground we ended up with a weird prison planet monastery low budget interior only setup that would suit Chronicles Of Riddick, but had nothing to do with Alien or Wayland Yutani timeline world.

The studios decision to go outside of planned B-line story line (which was originally focusing on the crew without Ripley), and instead kill off Bishop, Hicks, to a lesser degree Newt and in the end also Ripley practically sent the franchise into downward spiral. It wrecked a chance for a proper sequel, Cameron considered it as "a slap in the face" and excluded himself from any possibility of revisiting Alien universe and the franchise is definitely poorer for it. Even Fincher agreed it was a stupid move.

Neither of the final script authors understood the idea of a sci fi horror in space and so Alien 3 is a sci fi space horror without sci fi or space.

They also didn't understand alien's life cycle so they expanded the boundaries of host DNA adaptation, and we ended up with idiocies like two face huggers from egg (or multi life face hugger, depending on interpretation), oxomorphs/doggymorphs, Bambi Bursters growing in matters of minutes/hours, which inevitably led to galore of creatures like Newborn in A:R, Predaliens and Pteromorphs/Deacons. Almost all of which were about as scary (compared to original xenomorph) as dancing David Brent was in the office.

Last edited:
Associate
Liked Prometheus a lot but I just wish they had showed more on the back story. Could have done with being an extra hour :)

Soldato
For me in terms of how good the movies were:

Aliens->Alien----------------------------------------------->Prometheus------>Alien 4--->Alien 3.

Alien 4 was rubbish but it was a good sort of rubbish, grab popcorn disengage brain type of rubbish (it was an abomination as an Aliens movie tho but in its own right entertaining enough), 3 was just snooze worthy. Prometheus was just OK nothing terribly good, nothing terribly bad.

No. Alien 3 freaking amazing. AMAZING.
Everything about it screams iconic, it has tonnes and tonnes of brooding atmosphere which I love and makes for great cinema, great dialogue, it's tough, gritty, real. I used to much prefer Aliens and Alien3 was initially a disappointment but now held in very high regard. Suggest you re-watch and re-educate yourself on your opinions.
Just because a sci-fi horror isn't set on a space ship in space doesn't mean it's not a sci-fi horror. Plenty of sci-fi films have poverty stricken low-tech prison planets. Refreshing to break away from tired cliches and if I understood correctly, the whole point was to recreate some of the initial spark and claustraphobia of the first film by having one beast to contend with, after the second film somewhat diminshed the prowess of the alien by having multiples of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Everything about it screams iconic, it has tonnes and tonnes of brooding atmosphere which I love and makes for great cinema, great dialogue, it's tough, gritty, real. I used to much prefer Aliens and Alien3 was initially a disappointment but now held in very high regard. Suggest you re-watch and re-educate yourself on your opinions.
Just because a sci-fi horror isn't set on a space ship in space doesn't mean it's not a sci-fi horror. Plenty of sci-fi films have poverty stricken low-tech prison planets. Refreshing to break away from tired cliches and if I understood correctly, the whole point was to recreate some of the initial spark and claustraphobia of the first film by having one beast to contend with, after the second film somewhat diminshed the prowess of the alien by having multiples of it.

Well said that man!

Associate

I second but this will also add.

Charles motherflippin' Dance :D

Back
Top Bottom