• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Proper dissapointed....

Soldato
well, im at the end of my tether. Ive been trying to squeeze some more juice outa me 7800GT Extreme but with no joy. Every time i try to overclock - i get artifracting (if thats how ya spell it lol) and the temps rise to close on 70 degrees. Ive managed to get about 490 and 1300 out of it but thats as far as it will go - at these settings i get artifracting in Oblivion but not dawn of war which is strange.......... and besides, with my card overclocked at those levels, i only see a 100 point increase in 3Dmark 06. BAH!

Soldato
I guess it just unlucky mate :( I've had a couple of cards in the past that would'nt go past stock either.Luck of the draw i guess

Rob

Soldato
OP
grahamjenks said:
Could try some better than stock cooling - Zalman vu900 for example, might keep the temps down better.

thats true but i guess it may be about time to chuck it in for a new one , although, i paid about £230 for this card in Feb of this year and i am as such, pretty miffed thats its getting obsolete now.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
You can't expect a card to clock if it is overheating Dude.
Get the original cooler off and reseat it with AS at the very minimum. Better still get an after market cooler and seat that with AS.
Also get your ambient temps down and exhaust that hot air better.
I certainly wouldn't throw in the towel until i had tried the above.

Soldato
malc30 said:
You can't expect a card to clock if it is overheating Dude.
Get the original cooler off and reseat it with AS at the very minimum. Better still get an after market cooler and seat that with AS.
Also get your ambient temps down and exhaust that hot air better.
I certainly wouldn't throw in the towel until i had tried the above.

:)

Soldato
OP
qwerty07 said:
Ok you expected an instant 500/1300 overclock? Are you mad? You would need to volt mod the mem at the very least plus those temps are way too high. I get 54C Load

well, its already slightly overclocked from the manufacturer so thats probably why it wont allow itself to be overclocked any more - ive just bought myself another gig of ram so that should speed things up a little"!

Associate
fastwunz said:
well, its already slightly overclocked from the manufacturer so thats probably why it wont allow itself to be overclocked any more - ive just bought myself another gig of ram so that should speed things up a little"!

You haven't been unlucky, that's just the limit of 7800gt's. My standard one also fell over at anything over 490/1300. The extreme versions aren't any more overclockable than the standard ones, you just paid for someone to overclock it for you.

Soldato
OP
ugly ferret said:
You haven't been unlucky, that's just the limit of 7800gt's. My standard one also fell over at anything over 490/1300. The extreme versions aren't any more overclockable than the standard ones, you just paid for someone to overclock it for you.

yeh, thats true - still, it performs well and on max settings in all but Blivy and BF2. i should be expecting a good increase in performance having bought another gig of ram right?

Soldato
7800GT is fine with BF2, you probably need more ram.

i paid about £230 for this card in Feb of this year and i am as such, pretty miffed thats its getting obsolete now.

Its not, its just midrange now, hardly obsolete... The only game is does suck in is Oblivion, but then that only works good on the latest cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Gashman said:
7800GTs aren't good overclockers anyways, three people i know fairly well have them, from XFX, MSI and leadtek, all clocked crap with aftermarket cooling

well, ive manged to clock mine respectably i guess but i dont want to go breaking it. The new ram that ive got coming (2X512 Geil Ultra X) will make a lovely difference to most apps, especially BF2 me thinks!

Soldato
OP
Firegod said:
Certainly will! :)

hehe, im pretty excited about it tbh - although i ordered it before 12:20 and it i still havent received a dispatch notification email - getting worried now as i need it for tommorrow really!

just looking forward to being able to change my sig to 2GB Geil lol

Associate
Have you seen the sought of prices people are paying for 7800 GTs on ebay?

A pretty much free upgrage to a X1800XT or a few tenners more gets you a X1900XT.

Just a thought.

Soldato
yep you can easily sell your 7800gt since there are loads of people out there who wand to go sli with thier existing one.

i sold my 7600gt so fast that it didn't even get a chance to hit the members market.

Soldato
fastwunz said:
well, im at the end of my tether. Ive been trying to squeeze some more juice outa me 7800GT Extreme but with no joy. Every time i try to overclock - i get artifracting (if thats how ya spell it lol) and the temps rise to close on 70 degrees. Ive managed to get about 490 and 1300 out of it but thats as far as it will go - at these settings i get artifracting in Oblivion but not dawn of war which is strange.......... and besides, with my card overclocked at those levels, i only see a 100 point increase in 3Dmark 06. BAH!

Try sell that 7800GT and get the X1800XT ;)

Back
Top Bottom