Protecting a website concept?

Associate
Hi All, I've had a quick google however wondered if anyone on here had real world experience as there are mixed messages. I've been learning more front end development during the lockdown and I'm finally close to releasing an online platform which looks to be unique for businesses to use.
However the idea could be copied relatively quickly if a company wanted to. The company I work for do not have anything like it currently and I've tried searching online for a similar tool without success. I promise its not a left handed screwdriver :)

Is there anything I could be doing now to protect the idea or is it not worth exploring and just crack on with trying to sell it?

Soldato
Not really, as far as I remember you can't protect source code. You can protect your images however but not layout.

Man of Honour
Come back to a proper team and you won't have all this spare time for your own projects to worry about :p

Was actually expecting a well endowed gent in that link, glad it's just Rick :o

Man of Honour
Hi All, I've had a quick google however wondered if anyone on here had real world experience as there are mixed messages. I've been learning more front end development during the lockdown and I'm finally close to releasing an online platform which looks to be unique for businesses to use.
However the idea could be copied relatively quickly if a company wanted to. The company I work for do not have anything like it currently and I've tried searching online for a similar tool without success. I promise its not a left handed screwdriver :)

Is there anything I could be doing now to protect the idea or is it not worth exploring and just crack on with trying to sell it?

You should reach out to a firm that could give you some advice. I actually work for an IP firm and we regularly advise on what can and can't be protected and also how you would go about it.

Soldato

As @Vince mentions, speak to an IP firm if you're attempting to protect a concept. If it's unique enough then you probably can protect aspects of it.

If you mean source code (specifically web based) then the easiest option is to push all logic rearwards and make the front-end as dumb as possible. And any front-end code can be obfuscated which, won't stop anyone copying it, but will make it a little harder when reverse engineering.
You might also be able to compile JS and execute within browsers with a mixture of NodeJS and nwjs but it's not something i've really looked into.

Soldato
Not really, as far as I remember you can't protect source code. You can protect your images however but not layout.

Few days late, but you can definitely protect your source code, if a company cloned your source code and used it in their own site, you can absolutely claim copyright, however you can't claim copyright if they take your concept but write their own source code which essentially achieves the same thing.

Associate
OP
Few days late, but you can definitely protect your source code, if a company cloned your source code and used it in their own site, you can absolutely claim copyright, however you can't claim copyright if they take your concept but write their own source code which essentially achieves the same thing.

Yep this is how I understand it. If they copy paste then you can get into issues whereas if you're inspired by it and write similar code then there aren't any problems.

Thanks for feedback guys - I'll let you know how it goes :)

Back
Top Bottom