PS3 Blu-Ray Playback Problems

Soldato
Went round my mates house Yesterday, He's had his PS3 (60Gb) for about 4 Months now, but he just got an LG FullHD TV to play it on.

We had a little play on Stuntman and watched the stupid Adverts on Jimmy Carrs's DVD ;)...

We then decided to watch the Simpsons Movie so I could see the difference between HD and my lowly DVD of the same... (Plus he's not seen it yet!).

Popped the disc in only to be greeted with a Blank screen that then showed an error message:

This Video can not be Played
(8002996E)

No matter what we tried we couldn't get back to the PS3 Menu so we had to 'Crash' it out.

We tried again after we'd let the console cool a bit... this time there was nothing... not even a sound from the drive (no spinning or searching!).. But still a Black screen.

Again we let it cool... then tried a Game (Stuntman for PS3).. that worked.. a DVD... That worked.. then we worked through his Blu-Ray collection.. out of his 12 Blu-Ray's (Spiderman Trilogy, Pirates otc-awe, Cars etc...) only one disk would play - and that was 'Bullet' (Steve McQueen).

We let it cool for about an hour in the conservatory, and again tried The Simpsons (we thought as Bullet worked it might be fixed!)... Got to the '20th Century Fox' logo and then gave us the same Error message as above!.. :confused:

The only thing different (apart from upgrading his TV going from a 720p to a 1080p one) is the v2.3 update that happened earlier in the week!!.. it all worked fine and dandy before that!!..

My Mate is phoning Sony today.. but I thought I'd see if anyone else had a similar problem!?!...

It still does everything else as it should (DVD, CD, Games, t'interweb etc..), just not Blu-Ray Movies.

Caporegime
It's a common problem matey, Sony take most of their PS3's back with Blu-Ray drive errors, that's what my first PS3 was sent back with.

Sony will take it back and send him one back out.

Soldato
Do'h!...

And this one's a replacement (of about 2 weeks)... He had a problem on his original one of no sound through the HDMI... which when Sony replaced the PS3 for him, he then found out it was the TV (crappy cheap 720p thing from Asda), hence the new spangly LG FullHD tv we were playing with last night!... :cool:

He's gonna be happy about another replacement in the space of two weeks (even though his original one probly wasn't borked!!) :D

Cheers Dood.. :)

Is there a more concise list of PS3 error codes available on't web I found one but its mainly IP errors etc...

Top Bottom