PS3 death

Soldato
So im in the middle of playing fifa online when all of a sudden ps3 switches itself off and the red power light is blinking.....wtf ?

Only had it on 5 minutes :confused:

I press power again to switch it back on and it switches itself off again (to red light blinking)

death of ps3?

doesnt come back on. Isnt even hot at all. quick Flash of yellow light before flashing red.

Unfortunately for me it is just over 2 years old. (bought in may 2008).

Will give sony a phone to see what they say.

40 gig one. :/

Phoning Sony now. Im also thinking about phoning HMV who i bought it from (even tho its over 2 years) as i have just read a very helpful guide to getting free repair for faulty PS3s (due to YLOD) on the Whatconsumer site.

At least i think it was HMV i got it from. i'll need to check with my bank as my statements dont go back that far. (the thread is still on here though. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17871615 )

Last edited:
http://whatconsumer.co.uk/faulty-playstation-3/

thats the webby with the letter templates etc. Anyway Sony said itll cost me £131 for a refurb ps3 from them.

He said there was no design fault with the ps3 that was causing YLOD (i dno either way)

So i'll head off to HMV tomorrow see how i get on.

havent tried the hairdryer trick - though i will need to if i want to get my game saves off it.

Just need the ps3 on for 5 minutes to transfer the game saves onto a usb stick so will try the hairdryer treatment. Should be fine at HMV i reckon. Warranty seal is intact havent opened it or anything (apparently hmv will buy even YLOD ps3 consoles as long as the seal is intact).

Not entirely sure where im gonna get an engineers report done in Aberdeen. Any console repair place will do yeah?

Been reading a lot of info that says that the YLOD is a design fault but the retailers wont go to court. What will usually happen is that they will offer another new or refurb PS3 so the customer goes away happy. If even one case goes to court that would create a precedent and essentially open the floodgates as if its proved to be a design fault then its inherent to all PS3's.

**********update.************

Got ps3 back fixed. Though was told it will probably only last 2 months maximum as it was the YLOD error.

Got my engineers report so now its time to send off letters to HMV :D (retailer i bought it from)

I'll keep you updated how it goes :D

where did you get your engineers report from and how much? is the report pretty comprehensive?

Banchory Pcs is a pc and console repair place near me did a report for me. Basically lists what action they did (ie dissassemble ps3 mobo etc) and then stated the reason why it happened.

can you put save game files onto usb sticks?

yes as long as they arent protected e.g. cant do it for Assassins Creed 2

Get your backup done sooner rather than later ;)

9 gig to backup :/ apparently

Have to wait a week or so until i receive my proof of purchase from my bank of the PS3 before i send off my letter to HMV.... :/

Technically i should just go into HMV and get them to check their receipts (i know the date i bought the ps3) as according to SOGA as long as some kind of proof of purchase is available either from retailer or consumer it dont matter.

****update***

hi guys - dilemma what should i do guys?

Basically i sent off the letter to hmv with proof of purchase and engineers report saying it was borked etc.

I had paid for a repair (£60) from a company in aberdeen but they said the fault would happen again in around 2 months as its a defect of the ps3.

ANYWAY! today HMV phone me up and say they are willing to give me a replacement ps3 (40 gig model not slim model fair nuff) but not willing to re-imburse me the £60 i paid to get it fixed.

They are phoning me back late this afternoon to confirm !! Should i insist on getting the £60 reimbursed as well? Or just count my lucking stars im getting a replacement ps3?

I asked what they would do with my old ps3 and she said it would go back to sony.

What to do?

***another update***

HMV phone me back to say they didnt have any of the 40gig so they'll give me a 120 gig slim model. Dunno if its refurbished or not probably.

Good deal?

The link in the thread shows that HMV have re-imbursed others for expenses occurred obtaining the engineers report, although in that case it was only £30. http://whatconsumer.co.uk/faulty-playstation-3/#comment-2689

Either way it's a good result. :)

You're right under the soga they are obliged to do either repair, partial refund or replacement. They are doing replacement but not refunding my costs incurred... i'll see if they meet me halfway (£30)

so i finally got round to sorting this all out and end result is: HMV have agreed to pay for my repair after showing them an engineers report which shows the fault in the ps3 is an inherent one (YLOD). Also after complaining to sony as well they have extended my refurbed ps3 warranty from 3 months to 12 months.

they will be sending my a cheque for all costs involved with the report and the repair, so i think i got a pretty good result in the end :)

Nice one :D

Back
Top Bottom