PS3 media server connection problems

Associate
used to be able to connect my pc running windows xp via windows media player 11 before but recently ps3 can't detect any media servers connected.
the only thing i have done is upgraded norton internet security from 2005 to 2008 version. I have checked the firewall settings etc and that recognises that the ps3 is on the same network. the uPnP slot is also allowed onthe firewall.
any ideas as to how I can overcome this problem?
thanks

Caporegime
used to be able to connect my pc running windows xp via windows media player 11 before but recently ps3 can't detect any media servers connected.
the only thing i have done is upgraded norton internet security from 2005 to 2008 version. I have checked the firewall settings etc and that recognises that the ps3 is on the same network. the uPnP slot is also allowed onthe firewall.
any ideas as to how I can overcome this problem?
thanks

Turn firewall off totally and try it. If it works then it IS YOUR FIREWALL. (Considering it is the only thing you changed since it last worked). Then check with someone who has NIS 2008 ( I don't have this software so can't check what the setting are/should be).

rp20000

Soldato
To be honest if you're behind a router there isn't much point in a firewall if you have a decent antivirus (IMO!). Never had a problem in the ~5 years i've had a router in my network.

Soldato
To be honest if you're behind a router there isn't much point in a firewall if you have a decent antivirus (IMO!). Never had a problem in the ~5 years i've had a router in my network.

Indeed, I run networks of PCs behind a decent router without a standalone firewall 24/7 without problems. Just the Windows one enabled.

Soldato
Even though you've fixed your problem.Give tversity a try, it's great!

Funny you should mention that as I installed it a few hours ago but could not get my PS3 to pick up my server. I installed it onto my Windows 2003 Server with the firewall disabled and made sure it was all setup e.t.c. but nothing. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom