PS4 - "A LAN cable is not connected" problem

Permabanned
So I've been having this problem for a while now. Every so often I'll get this error message come up ("A LAN cable is not connected") and I'll lose my internet connection, get kicked out of online games...etc. It usually reconnects after a few seconds, then the error will pop up again and so on. This usually occurs about 2-5 times before it settles and seems to resolve itself.

This started happening with my original PS4 after about two or two and a half years of use. I put it down to a dodgy LAN port. I was using a brand new ethernet cable and didn't have any disconnection problems with other devices connected to my router so I ruled that out as a cause.

So a few weeks ago I upgraded to a PS4 pro. The problem seemed to dissapear so I assumed the problem was indeed a dodgy LAN port on the original PS4. However it has now started happening again on the pro.

Of course this means the problem could be the ethernet cable so I've ordered a new one to swap out and see if that resolves it.

Something I noticed just now though after getting this error message again whilst playing BF1 is that most of the cables and sockets at the back of the console are getting really hot. Now I'm thinking this is the cause of the problem. I closed down BF1 and let it all cooldown and the error message stopped appearing. Is it possible that the LAN cable/LAN plug/LAN socket is getting hot enough to disrupt the connection temporarily?

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that this is the cause of the problem. I only ever seemed to get this error message with certain intensive games after extended periods of play which causes the console to run hot.

The problem is, if this is the cause of the problem, I'm not sure what to do about it. The console is not in an enclosed space, there's plenty of room at the rear end for the hot air to flow and the cables are neatly managed. The room I play in isn't particulaly warm either. Usually 18-19 degrees celsius. 20 MAX. What can I do? The console exhausts heat all around the rear cables and connections which inevitably heats them up.

Can anyone give any input on this? I will try replacing the ethernet cable tomorrow but I have a horrible feeling the heat is the cause of the problem.

Associate
Never seen this issue myself. My console is in a TV cabinet with a hand width of space of space to either side but plenty more above. Replace the LAN cable and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom