PS4 External HDD

Associate
Apologies if this has been covered a million times before. Im looking at purchasing a external HDD for my PS4 to help with the lack of storage space.
I'm looking at buying a 2tb Seagate Expansion drive as its cheap as chips, but would you recommend spending a bit more on a drive with better performance or maybe go the route of a SSHD/SSD?

Soldato
Apologies if this has been covered a million times before. Im looking at purchasing a external HDD for my PS4 to help with the lack of storage space.
I'm looking at buying a 2tb Seagate Expansion drive as its cheap as chips, but would you recommend spending a bit more on a drive with better performance or maybe go the route of a SSHD/SSD?

Seagate 2TB is fine - I use one on my PS4 Pro and it works perfectly fine.

Caporegime
Im Thinking about this also would a SSD be quicker at loading than a standard external drive tho?

If you had a spare SSD lying around then I’d say use that but the PS4 is purposefully gimped in game read speed to ensure other operations like background game recording and downloading aren’t compromised. So an SSD isn’t used to its full potential.

An external HDD loads a bit quicker than the internal drive though.

Associate
If you had a spare SSD lying around then I’d say use that but the PS4 is purposefully gimped in game read speed to ensure other operations like background game recording and downloading aren’t compromised. So an SSD isn’t used to its full potential.

An external HDD loads a bit quicker than the internal drive though.

Thanks mate very helpful

Soldato
I upgraded my PS4 Pro to an SSD a few months back, as long as you accept that the gains won't be monumental like they are on a PC, the improvement is still very noticeable. Makes a big difference in games like RDR2 and The Division 2 where load times can be fairly significant at times.

Soldato
I stuck a 500GB MX500 in my Pro and it makes a fairly big difference especially in Days Gone. It’s not quite as big a difference as the One X with same drive but still well worth doing.

Soldato
Here is a post I made on reddit a while back about my Pro, the SSD is mounted Internally.

These times are from from pressing "continue" to loading the save. And i did each load 3 times.

The Witcher 3 (Stock Drive)

1:32

1:33

1:34

The Witcher 3 (Firecuda External 3.5" 7200RPM SSHD)

1:19

1:13

1:12

1:12

1:11

The Witcher 3 (Crucial MX500 SSD)

1:10

1:09

1:09

Horizon Zero Dawn (Stock Drive)

1:23

1:26

1:24

Horizon Zero Dawn (Firecuda External 3.5" 7200RPM SSHD)

1:01

1:02

0:58

0:56

0:54

Horizon Zero Dawn (Crucial MX500 SSD)

0:44

Back
Top Bottom