1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS4 - updates "Copying.."

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by ForTheQuestions, Jul 2, 2018.

1. ForTheQuestions

Associate

I've just updated BF1 took about about 5 mins to download the 5gig update then it took another 15-20 mins of it saying " Copying..." before it had actually finished. Is this "Copying" a new thing? And does anyone know why it takes so long?

2. jpm

Wise Guy

Destiny 2 seems to do that with me, other games seems faster. I don't know if its overwriting existing files? Its a pain though.

3. Makhaira

Mobster

I'm guessing here but the pc analogy would be decompressing heavily compressed files.

4. biron_w

Soldato

I looked this up the other day as it was doing my head in. PS4 makes a copy of the game with the update installed which apparently means your game won't be borked if you get a power cut or something.

5. ForTheQuestions

Associate

Yea, I've noticed for example fortnite update finished a lot faster then the BF1 update.

That was what I was thinking, but it still shouldn't be that slow at decompressing small ish updates.

That would explain why the larger games take long then. As jpm said its a pain.

After reading some more they seem to have added it in firmware 5.0, I know it use to do "preparing to update" at the start of the update and they've changed it to "copying" at the end now. Hopefully in one of the next firmware updates they might be able to speed it up.

Appreciate the responses.

6. biron_w

Soldato

It annoys me because I have my PS4 set to auto update and sometimes it doesn't do it in standby. So I want to play a game and have to wait for the update to install :mad:

7. TheVoice

Capodecina

The console usually checks for updates in the early hours of the morning, so if an update comes out at say, 10am, it won't get it until the following night. It won't download updates for games that haven't been played in a while either.