PS5 External SSD Testing: SATA vs NVMe vs Hard Drive - Back-Compat Titles + Read/Write Speed Tests!

Soldato
Tbh I wish they would unlock it for slower drives just for PS4 games. You would think the PS5 could do a drive check to determine what speed the drive is and enable PS5 game use if it meets the requirements and only PS4 use if not. Sony really seem to have half arsed this gen so far…..

Soldato
Tbh I wish they would unlock it for slower drives just for PS4 games. You would think the PS5 could do a drive check to determine what speed the drive is and enable PS5 game use if it meets the requirements and only PS4 use if not. Sony really seem to have half arsed this gen so far…..

They probably want to avoid any confusion caused by people buying any M.2 drive then wondering why it won't fully work. Far easier to say "Here are the handful of drives that are supported, don't buy anything else" than deal with a deluge of people buying the first one they see on Amazon and then getting shouty about it on Twitter.

As for half-arsed, that's a bit dramatic really, especially for the console that's leading the way with exclusive titles.

Soldato
They probably want to avoid any confusion caused by people buying any M.2 drive then wondering why it won't fully work. Far easier to say "Here are the handful of drives that are supported, don't buy anything else" than deal with a deluge of people buying the first one they see on Amazon and then getting shouty about it on Twitter.

As for half-arsed, that's a bit dramatic really, especially for the console that's leading the way with exclusive titles.

I mean hardware software exclusives are dependent on what your preference is. The hardware feels very half-arsed if you ask me.

Soldato
Hi

I realise this is a bit of a bump,

But just got a ps5 (disc) version.

Upgrade from ps4 Pro.

Already the storage is getting rather big. With my ps4 games.

So could someone recommend a suitable HD for the ps5 to store my ps4 games on then at least I only have to store ps5 games on the 5.

I'm not really up on the latest hard drives. Do they need to be a specific type ?

Thanks

Associate
Hi

Upgrade from ps4 Pro.

So could someone recommend a suitable HD for the ps5 to store my ps4 games on then at least I only have to store ps5 games on the 5.

I'm not really up on the latest hard drives. Do they need to be a specific type ?

Thanks

I'm using a plain old WD 2TB external drive I used with my PS4 on the PS5, works perfectly fine, doing think it needs a specifc type

Soldato
Hi

Upgrade from ps4 Pro.

Thanks

I bought a Seagate 2TB officially licensed drive from Amazon. Currently on offer for £59.

Soldato
Damn typical

Got a spare 1TB Western Digital Green 3.5 hard drive.

Just placed it in a caddy and connected to the ps5. Ps5 says cant format that.

Wonder if it is the actual hard drive or the caddy?

As would have saved some money that way

Soldato
OP
Damn typical

Got a spare 1TB Western Digital Green 3.5 hard drive.

Just placed it in a caddy and connected to the ps5. Ps5 says cant format that.

Wonder if it is the actual hard drive or the caddy?

As would have saved some money that way

Is it a usb 3 caddy you are using as usb 2 will not work.

If USB 3 caddy take the drive to a pc and remove all partitions with diskpart command.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

After that take to ps5 and try again to format the drive.

Back
Top Bottom