PS5 or Series X? Because it hasn't been asked before...

Soldato
Interesting stuff. I haven't tried a m&k with any consoles before. Is there much hassle in setup/compatability?

No, it's plug and play. Older games are thin on the ground, but Metro Exodus, Warzone, Modern Warfare, Gears 5 all work. More games are starting to support it and as Microsoft now own Bethesda they're actively looking to push it more.

Most keyboards/mice will work however not all games support them. Cyberpunk for a start doesnt work. :(

I would have thought that's the last thing they need to fix :p.

Associate
I prioritised the PS5 as I'd sold my Playstation many months before and there were a few games I wanted to play (although I STILL haven't played them), if there are PS5 exclusive games that you want to play, I'd go with that first. If not, Series X/S with Gamepass is such good value... it just doesn't really entice you to buy unless you want to play with better visuals/performance or haven't got an Xbox already.. or a PC.

Perhaps the most difficult console launch ever, there's no clear one to recommend. PS5 is very good and I use it a lot though.

Soldato
PS5 feels more next gen for me but that's 90% due to the controller and 10% due to the cleaner/crisper UI. That said, I'd lean towards XSX purely for Game Pass as the value is ridiculous.

Right now, neither of them is essential buying particularly if you already have a PS4 Pro or X1X, if you are on the originals then the performance boost will blow your mind :D

Caporegime
It feels to me like we’re entering a second cycle to the 360 v PS3 era. The 360 was the fantastic all round system with better performing multiplatforms, better online service and a better experience. The PS3 only had those great exclusives.

The Xbox Series X|S has things like Smart Delivery, Game Pass which easily trump the game management of the PS5 and PS Now. Whether Microsoft's exclusives can counter Sony's, only time will tell. The DualSense is one tick in PS5's box but already you read about people getting fed up with it. After they've used it with Astro's Playroom, it becomes an annoyance in other games.

So I'm pretty confident in recommending XSX for a main machine and PS5 for its exclusives.

Associate
It feels to me like we’re entering a second cycle to the 360 v PS3 era. The 360 was the fantastic all round system with better performing multiplatforms, better online service and a better experience. The PS3 only had those great exclusives.

The Xbox Series X|S has things like Smart Delivery, Game Pass which easily trump the game management of the PS5 and PS Now. Whether Microsoft's exclusives can counter Sony's, only time will tell. The DualSense is one tick in PS5's box but already you read about people getting fed up with it. After they've used it with Astro's Playroom, it becomes an annoyance in other games.

So I'm pretty confident in recommending XSX for a main machine and PS5 for its exclusives.

I've switched off the triggers on my DualSense, initially, it's a great feature but when you're wrenching at the trigger to get it to work it ends up being a disadvantage when coming up against those that have it switched off... they aren't fighting against a mechanical element, plus after long stints of playing my fingers ache from it.

Not sure if this is just me, feels like over time I begin to lose comfortable grip on my DualSense, as if my hand is slipping on the controller... experience this quite a bit during games like Black Ops.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dunno that sounds like a sign to stop playing and give your fingers a rest, to me *shrug*

Sounds more like an issue caused by the Playstation controller design to me. The feature of triggers adapting their resistance to the game in isolation is a great idea, but when you're playing competitively or for an extended period of time and the feature is active throughout, it's detrimental. For example, I've done eight/nine hour sessions using Xbox's Elite 2 and my hands feel no different at the end.

I personally have always found the shape of previous Dualshock controllers to be a pain, which was especially bad with the DS3.

Associate
For me, as I have a PC, it has to be the PS5 - for the exclusives - which have been some of the most enjoyable gaming I have had over the last few years.

Yeah I know some of them eventually make it to PC but why wait ?

Caporegime
It depends on what you're wanting to play.

From my perspective the new Xbox doesn't offer me anything, the games on there I want to play I can get on the PC and that's where I'd rather play them. If I was buying a console right now it would be a PS5, the exclusives are more appealing to me.

Microsoft are buying up all the developers. I thought the exclusives are going to be on them. Microsoft had the better console with the 360 and messed up big time with the one. They will not make the same mistake again.

The one thing that is great with game pass is games that were otherwise dead have a had a new lease of life. My daughter and all her friends at school are all playing rainbow six siege and hardly any are playing the new cod for example.

Associate
Microsoft arent going to be buying up Sony's own studios are they - which is where the majority of the PS exclusives come from (and the main reason they are exclusives)

MS buying Bethesda etc will finally give them the potential for more exclusives but they are just a shadow of what they used to be.

Soldato
I have both Series X and PS5 and the Series X gets the vast majority of playtime due to Gamepass. Pun aside, it is a game changer. What's particularly encouraging is MS are just geting into their stride with Gamepass and it's only going to get better.

There's 3 main benefits. First - all my online gaming buddies having access to the same library of games - so no more trying to convince each other to buy the game x. We all have it already. Second - which ties into the first and most significant, is the freedom to try out anything you like. 4 of the 5 games i've enjoyed the most since the launch of the new consoles were titles on Gamepass that I wouldn't have tried otherwise. Streets of Rage 4, Wasteland 3, State of Decay 2 and Hotshot Racing. Third - it's super cheap. One PS5 game cost me almost as much as Gamepass for 3 years. Even if you don't go the Live upgrade route, it's super cheap for what you get. I haven't had to buy a single game on Series X since launch.

ymmv, but Series X with Gamepass is my bread and butter console for this gen, with PS5 performing exclusives detail. To give the PS5 it's due - it is quality hardware with a much nicer interface. The pad is better too.
This is basically my experience. I've been trying to get gaming sessions with friends for years but its always a battle convincing people to buy into a game, even if its £5. Now we can all download stuff in advance from our phones and crack on. Quite a few things I wouldn't have usually tried too. I just wish I'd have bought 3 years worth of Gold to convert.

Soldato
This is basically my experience. I've been trying to get gaming sessions with friends for years but its always a battle convincing people to buy into a game, even if its £5. Now we can all download stuff in advance from our phones and crack on. Quite a few things I wouldn't have usually tried too. I just wish I'd have bought 3 years worth of Gold to convert.

I had that experience so many times. Convinced a mate to buy Monster Hunter at launch on the PS4 - he didn't like it and was a little miffed. I couldn't convince anyone else and ended up playing single player, which misses half the experience with Monster Hunter. All having the access to the same game is way more significant than the odd exclusive to me. That and trying games you otherwise wouldn't have. I'm now on SW: Fallen Order on Series X, which looks and plays amazingly after the recent patch. Totally hooked and something else i'd not have played otherwise.

It's not about exclusives anymore - worthwhile exclsuvies you can count on one hand per generation (arguably across all formats). It's about having the freedom to find games you really like and being able to play them in single and multiplayer. That's what Gamepass does and ther reason my PS5 has barely had a lookin since launch.

Soldato
I had that experience so many times. Convinced a mate to buy Monster Hunter at launch on the PS4 - he didn't like it and was a little miffed. I couldn't convince anyone else and ended up playing single player, which misses half the experience with Monster Hunter. All having the access to the same game is way more significant than the odd exclusive to me. That and trying games you otherwise wouldn't have. I'm now on SW: Fallen Order on Series X, which looks and plays amazingly after the recent patch. Totally hooked and something else i'd not have played otherwise.

It's not about exclusives anymore - worthwhile exclsuvies you can count on one hand per generation (arguably across all formats). It's about having the freedom to find games you really like and being able to play them in single and multiplayer. That's what Gamepass does and ther reason my PS5 has barely had a lookin since launch.
Deep Rock Galactic is currently a good shout for up to 4 in co op. Really fun. Also looking forward to the ascent which was unfortunately delayed from this month to not sure when now.

https://youtu.be/eQ2zUMFO6mE

Cyber Shadow on Jan 26th also looks good for indie single player goodness. Same people who made Shovel Knight.

Soldato
OP
Thanks again for the replies.

I think I'm going to go Series X now (or at least when I can get one at RRP), then potentially PS5 next year.

Part of my reasoning is that One S to Series X will be a much bigger jump than PS4 Pro to PS5, and the gamepass swings it too.

Only question I need answered now is, can I have a different save game on the Series X gamepass to the one on my sons PC using gamepass? The last time I logged in to his PC to download him a game, his GOW 4 save overwrote mine! Only a complication if we play the same game, but that could well happen. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom