PSU alternative

Associate
Hi all,

OCUK have got a stock issue with BitFenix Formula 80 PLUS Gold Netzteil - 450 Watt and its causing a delay in my system being built. Could anyone help me out with a alternative thats considered as good in that approx price range?

Thanks!

Edit: Oops meant 550 Watt

Associate
OP
Thanks, will pass it on as an option. They are saying though that they expect the BitFenix later this week so maybe better to just accept the delay?!

Associate
OP
Soldato
It's not as good as your initial choice or the Leadex III, but it's passable compared to some of the options out there.

As for them not having the parts, I suspect they've had a backlog for custom builds and haven't been reserving parts for orders. I can't comment for sure though, you'd need to take it up with customer service.

Associate
OP
Hi Grey2233,

thanks, i suspected they were off loading something that wasnt as good to try and get the order completed, they claimed it was 'better'!. The original PSU still hasnt arrived in stock so I am in a quandry. Re the missing parts, they said it was all reserved and was just an anomaly in stock numbers on their system, which i would be fine with if they were offering replacement parts at a discount, but they are not.

Soldato
Hi Grey2233,

thanks, i suspected they were off loading something that wasnt as good to try and get the order completed, they claimed it was 'better'!. The original PSU still hasnt arrived in stock so I am in a quandry. Re the missing parts, they said it was all reserved and was just an anomaly in stock numbers on their system, which i would be fine with if they were offering replacement parts at a discount, but they are not.

This is a good resource for the layman when it comes to PSU's:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

I don't agree with it entirely but it'll usually put you in the right ballpark.

If they were claiming it's better than the Formula Gold and Leadex III I find that a tad iffy, a little time reading reviews can prove otherwise and even when not the Leadex III has 3 years more warranty.

I would suggest taking your order number to the customer support section of the forum and asking about things in there, you may get more luck given the time you've waited and the suspect claims you've mentioned:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/ocuk-customer-service.116/

Associate
OP
I know this isnt the place so kick me to a new thread if need be, but we were also discussing replacing the case as that has now gone out of stock aswell, Aerocool was considered a much better choice than Kolink, unfortunately the Aerocool replacement offered is not my bag, the Kolinks are more expensive but if they are rubbish i will need to have a re think!

Associate
OP
I would suggest taking your order number to the customer support section of the forum and asking about things in there, you may get more luck given the time you've waited and the suspect claims you've mentioned:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/ocuk-customer-service.116/
Ahh missed you replying to me - i will do as you suggest , thank you for the help!

They were saying it was at least equal to the Bitfenix likely better, not the Flower one, which i guess is at least more realistic ?!

Last edited:
Soldato
Ahh missed you replying to me - i will do as you suggest , thank you for the help!

They were saying it was at least equal to the Bitfenix likely better, not the Flower one, which i guess is at least more realistic ?!

The Bitfenix Formula Gold might be a 'budget' gold unit but it's superior to the Be Quiet! unit you're looking at, in fact it beats out a lot of supposed top tier units.

That said, the Be Quiet isn't bad, it's just middle of the road for the price and what it offers.

It's unfortunate the Aerocool case wasn't your cup of tea, I assume you're talking about the Aerocool One range? If so they're really good for the price, but I totally understand why they might not be aesthetically pleasing to some.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I was looking at cases a little lower in buget than that, this was my original choice:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aerocool-rift-rgb-midi-tower-case-black-window-ca-213-ae.html

The kolinks range is £10-15 more, the Aerocool £20 again and i know its sounds tight fisted but I am struggling to stay in budget with price increases! The Aerocool suggested is The Shard and with very very limited work space and it jutting out it is not workable, so yes i like RGB cases just wondered if Kolink were considerably lower in quality in which case i will just have to look again!

Soldato
I was looking at cases a little lower in buget than that, this was my original choice:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aerocool-rift-rgb-midi-tower-case-black-window-ca-213-ae.html

The kolinks range is £10-15 more, the Aerocool £20 again and i know its sounds tight fisted but I am struggling to stay in budget with price increases! The Aerocool suggested is The Shard and with very very limited work space and it jutting out it is not workable, so yes i like RGB cases just wondered if Kolink were considerably lower in quality in which case i will just have to look again!

Would you mind posting your full build and budget?

There might be something I or others can help you wiggle around with.

Associate
OP
Hi Grey2233, the build is paid for ( several weks ago) there will be no oppotunity to change the spec further, I was just looking for advice on the cases... Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom