PSU Buzzing Sound

Soldato
So my Corsair RM1000i has, AFAIK, Started to develop coil whine, Only started around 1 month ago, Not noticeable during the day but when it gets quiet at night any movement with the mouse, Scrolling pages etc... and I can hear it albeit very faintly, I thought it was the GPU at first so I unplugged my 1080 Ti and used the 9900K's iGPU, Same exact sound.

This is what it sounds like, Amplified a little to make it more obvious, Sounds like a tiny cricket or grass hopper even when just sat at the desktop doing nothing but moving the mouse cursor.

Cause for concern ?

Last edited:
Soldato
You sure it's the PSU?

My CPU (i7-9700K) makes a whining sound by default in combination with my Gigabyte Aorus motherboard, I have to disable all of the CPU C-state options in the BIOS to make it stop.

Soldato
OP
How old is the PSU?

3 months.

should have 10yr warranty on it . can RMA with corsair and if faulty they'll swap the unit out

Yep, Contacted Corsair and sent a recording of the sound to them aswell so they can tell me if it's something to be concerned about or not.

You sure it's the PSU?

My CPU (i7-9700K) makes a whining sound by default in combination with my Gigabyte Aorus motherboard, I have to disable all of the CPU C-state options in the BIOS to make it stop.

I've tested this PSU with 2 x different builds, 1 AMD and 1 Intel, Same sound, Also tried disabling C-States but the sound persists.

Soldato
I had the exact same thing with a ocz PSU about 10 years ago. Sent it back and got another the same so that when back and all was good.

From googling ocz were having a big problem with it.

Send it back if you can

Back
Top Bottom