• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PSU cables

Associate
I’ve been using the standard ‘piggy back’ style power cable to deliver power to my 3070.

Read online that it would be better to have separate 8 and 6 pin cables, rathe than one cable that splits?

Any advice on whether this is junk news or not? If it’s good advice, anyone suggest where I can find the separate cables for purchase on OCUK?

Man of Honour
I’ve been using the standard ‘piggy back’ style power cable to deliver power to my 3070.

Read online that it would be better to have separate 8 and 6 pin cables, rathe than one cable that splits?

Any advice on whether this is junk news or not? If it’s good advice, anyone suggest where I can find the separate cables for purchase on OCUK?

It is best avoided, but if you have a decent PSU, then it's fine. I wouldn't worry about a 3070.

Some buildzoid blabs:

Associate

I believe you could try and contact your PSU manufacturer and they might just give you an extra set of cables for free. I have heard of this happening but not sure it is the case as I have never tried it myself.

Soldato
Are you sure you don't have the other PCI-E cable?

As you are already using "Daisy Chain", have you had any issues?

Corsair might send you another cable. (may be free, may be not)

You could go the custom cable route and replace all your cables, not cheap though.

Example

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £63.65 (includes delivery: £8.70)​

Please double check that these are compatible if you go this route

Associate
Keep in mind that most PSUs now have a single 12V rail. So using multiple connectors from a single cable, or multiple cables makes little difference in load across that single 12V rail.

If you had a PSU with multiple 12V rails, using a single PCIe cable with splitter puts the entire GPU load on a single rail. So its possible the GPU could overload the single rail and cause the PSU to trip.
This isnt a concern on a single rail PSU.

The other concern seems to be around cables melting due to too much load being pulled. But I think this is mostly a non-issue. The PSU manufacutres obviously spec the wires inside the PCIe cable to handle more than 300W to cover both 8-pins at max 150W each.

I would not be concerned. Just enjoy your PC and game on. The 3070 is going to be drawing at max 250W~, barely enough to even need 2x connectos. (150W + 75W from the slot = 225W...)

Some folks just really want to scare monger...

Associate
OP
Keep in mind that most PSUs now have a single 12V rail. So using multiple connectors from a single cable, or multiple cables makes little difference in load across that single 12V rail.

If you had a PSU with multiple 12V rails, using a single PCIe cable with splitter puts the entire GPU load on a single rail. So its possible the GPU could overload the single rail and cause the PSU to trip.
This isnt a concern on a single rail PSU.

The other concern seems to be around cables melting due to too much load being pulled. But I think this is mostly a non-issue. The PSU manufacutres obviously spec the wires inside the PCIe cable to handle more than 300W to cover both 8-pins at max 150W each.

I would not be concerned. Just enjoy your PC and game on. The 3070 is going to be drawing at max 250W~, barely enough to even need 2x connectos. (150W + 75W from the slot = 225W...)

Some folks just really want to scare monger...
As always, you can rely on this forum to give you a full and detailed answer. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom