Psu calculator that makes more sense than most

That recomends me a 400w psu and my system barely uses 200w. Its way out.
Its a good way to calculate a comprihensive maximum power but in reality its impossible to draw maximum power from everything at the same time.
If you get a psu with the recomended power it will certainly be plenty.

Joe42 said:
That recomends me a 400w psu and my system barely uses 200w. Its way out.
Its a good way to calculate a comprihensive maximum power but in reality its impossible to draw maximum power from everything at the same time.
If you get a psu with the recomended power it will certainly be plenty.

But thats what you want. If you buy a 200w then it wouldnt be any good in your system though

Those numbers are way out. Think of it this way. PSU manufacturers are running a business. They make money by making power supplies with higher and higher numbers, regardless of whether they are actually needed, and try to convince us all that that is what we need to make our computers work at all. I wish they'd stop paying attention to big numbers, and work harder to make power supplies more efficient. I'd MUCH rather have a power supply with a lower wattage, great efficiency, less heat and total silence.

mrochester said:
Those numbers are way out. Think of it this way. PSU manufacturers are running a business. They make money by making power supplies with higher and higher numbers, regardless of whether they are actually needed, and try to convince us all that that is what we need to make our computers work at all. I wish they'd stop paying attention to big numbers, and work harder to make power supplies more efficient. I'd MUCH rather have a power supply with a lower wattage, great efficiency, less heat and total silence.
Agreed.
A pc that draws 300w under full load is a rarity.
You sound like the sort of person who would own/appreciate a seasonic. 80% efficient and silent.

ted34 said:
But thats what you want. If you buy a 200w then it wouldnt be any good in your system though
I reckon i'd do fine with a 300w tho. The only reason i have a 500w is for the connectors. I don't even use half the power.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom