PSU coming to end of days?

Associate
Hey,

Been noticing that when gaming a few months ago my PSU (Coolermaster 850W silent pro m) fan would crank itself to maximum, which I thought wasn't the end of the world as it probably was under higher load.

But now I've noticed it's cranking itself to maximum periodically even during boot, is it wise to call time on my PSU before it lets the magic smoke out?

Soldato
Could be fan control failing.
PSU's semiconductors don't have periodic failures, they either work, or stop working properly.
Also some dust accumulation increasing temperature should cause steady high RPM.

Though have you checked that it's actually PSU's fan doing that noise?

Associate
OP
Could be fan control failing.
PSU's semiconductors don't have periodic failures, they either work, or stop working properly.
Also some dust accumulation increasing temperature should cause steady high RPM.

Though have you checked that it's actually PSU's fan doing that noise?

I did try cleaning it out previously but seemed to make no difference. As for being sure that's what it is, I have a watercooled rig with a box of fans and rads below which makes it difficult to look inside, the PSU appears to be where the noise is coming from when it spikes so it's the best assumption I've got. I'll try running the PSU outside the case to see if I can watch it max out.

Back
Top Bottom