PSU fan woes

Associate
Just built myself a nice quiet system, only problem is, my PSU fan has this annoying habit of going between low and max speed every 2 seconds. So I constantly hear this wave of noise which is much more annoying than a constant fan sound.

so I was wondering, do you think it would be ok to crack open my PSU, see if the fan has a standard 3 pin connector and, if so, attach it to a fan speed controller and just leave it on medium speed? i've got a spare akasa amber lying around which i would probably use to replace the stock fan.

just wondering if there are any obvious problems with this, please.

Associate
The only problems i could see are the fact that you would lose any warrenty left on the psu and also the risk of overheating due to the lower fan speeds.

Associate
OP
yeah, I know about the warranty thing but I'm not that bothered. I'm sure the voltage of a drained PSU won't pose too much of a hazard.

thank you.

Associate
I don't think I'd be so quick to try resurrecting what sounds like a faulty PSU (even if it is a minor fault). If it isn't under warranty any more, I would seriously consider buying a replacement. If it's so old that things are going wrong with it, it won't be long before something major fails - possibly taking something else with it!

Soldato
alucks said:
{snip}so I was wondering, do you think it would be ok to crack open my PSU, see if the fan has a standard 3 pin connector and, if so, attach it to a fan speed controller and just leave it on medium speed{snip}
How you going to run the cable, drill a hole or something? Why bother all the problems/risks/etc. Invest in a PSU that is guaranteed to be quiet, e.g. Tagan :D

Soldato
Well from personal experience I have done quite a few psu's now ranging from cheap-sheet to nice fsp units.

Its well worth doing but it does wipe out any warranty due to the stickers they slap around screw heads and between metal joins.

I always avoid the solder pads under any large capacitors and so far I havent been careless so its entirely possible to swap fans out and be safe

Back
Top Bottom