PSU for £800 build

Associate
Hey guys I'm looking at putting together a new build and was wondering if my old PSU would be ok. The build will be something like this;
i7 3770k ivybridge
Gigabyte Z77 D3H Mobo
16GB RAM
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
2TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD
DVD drive
And either an AMD 7850 or a 7950

Would my 500W Cooler Master PSU power this or would I need a new PSU too?

Cheers

Associate
yes bear in mind capacitor aging check a psu calculator. I think they're rated 70% efficient correct me if I'm wrong. I'd get 600w upwards 80 plus rated if it was me you'll prob get better safety features into the bargain too.

Associate
OP
Not too sure of the exact model as its boxed up at the house I'm moving to, but it is a good 3+ years old.
How about the Corsair CX 750w Builder Series? A friend bought one on offer for a build he new got round to making so I can get that pretty cheap

Soldato
What... The... Hell...

Your PSU is perfectly fine, even accounting for capacitor ageing it will be able to run your system with plenty of headroom for years to come.

Associate
I did, the is nothing wrong with his PSU and it will serve his purposes perfectly, don't understand why people are trying to get him to replace it.

Please be assured I'm in no way implying this person should replace it. As a straightforward answer of yes it will run, I do agree. However the subjective side of me (if it were me building with these nice new components) would feel more assured if I were to use a better quality PSU - but that's only my opinion :)

Associate
It depends entirely on which CM PSU, only a few of them are actually any good.

I've got a CM Elite Power 460w which came with the case - it seemed a good idea at the time for what was a budget build and still in use today (see my aged spec!) I considered it as one step up from some of those dodgy brands which end up wiping out your components. It'll do for now but wouldn't ever consider reusing it in a new build...

Back
Top Bottom