PSU for this setup and least likely to have Coil Whine?

Associate
Hi all, I've recently been silencing my setup and found out finally that the cause of a really quiet mosquito like buzzing/whittling type of sound was actually Coil Whine from the PSU. So I'm wondering what the latest info on getting a suitable PSU (of at least 650W) that is least likely to have any Coil Whine with it? Any manufacturers to avoid? etc

The current PSU is a: Corsair HX650 Bronze (first version)

The system that I'm using it in will be:
Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Original)
4930k @ 4.3Ghz (1.28v load)
64GB DDR3 RAM
2x SSD (SATA)
Powercolor RX580 Red Devil (8 pin + 6 pin required)
7 PWM fans attached to motherboard
6 USB devices (mouse, keyboard, webcam, controller, tablet and hub)

So what I'm after is:
At least 650W
Needs 8 + 8 pin PCIe (or 6+2, 6+2)
Modular
Zero or silent fan options
And most importantly; the least (near inaudible) or no coil whine from the PSU or towards a GPU.

I understand that each PSU reacts differently to different setups, so you can't guarantee everything. But as above, is there particular PSU makers I should avoid? (Higher than normal chance of Coil Whine?)

Unfortunately I can't unhear the Coil Whine from my PSU anymore now I've found it's coming from there, especially now I've silenced the rest of the system so much.

Any advice (or suggested PSU replacements) appreciated. :)

Soldato
It's a little bit of a lottery to buy a PSU when it comes to Coil Whine. No one manufacturer can claim to Guarantee 'No coil whine' on all their PSU's

Having said that, You'd be unfortunate to buy one with Coil Whine if you bought let's say, a Tier S PSU or Tier A+ (google is your friend)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info.

Hmmm. Seasonic..., was Seasonic not the ones who had a higher than normal rate for PSU Coil Whine a while back? I'm liking the look of their Prime Ultra Titanium or the Prime Fanless Titanium. But concerned a bit about that reputation from before.

Also, does anyone know if OCUK has a return/swap option if there is Coil Whine in the PSU itself? Like the monitor and dead pixel thing? (Is that even still a thing? Been so long since I purchased something that has a possible issue before arrival) The FAQ doesn't have anything about that, only how to best avoid and what OCUK has on offer.

Soldato
Seasonic Prime uses different platform than other series and especially Titanium has some very heavy component oversizing.
Have had mine soon two years and it hasn't made unexpected noises.

Associate
OP
Sorry to bring this back up, just wanted to get some thoughts on the following regarding the PSU potential purchase:

I'm looking at the Seasonic Prime Titanium 600W Fanless (For complete silence) for first choice.
However, all online PSU calculators give me anything between 460 to 600 for max load Wattage, with recommendations for PSU varying between 550W to 650W depending on the calculator.
Will the 600W Fanless be enough (and safe enough) in the case if 600W is the max load Wattage?
Or should I look for another PSU with higher PSU power levels? I am aware that Seasonic have a 700W in the works and would likely jump on that in an instant, but it's not available for purchase yet, so was looking at a temporary PSU which I can also migrate over to another system later on if I updated the PSU again later on (the 700W fanless for example).

Back
Top Bottom