PSU Loud Pop

Associate
I've stopped turning mine off at the wall now that I'm on my third HX. The last one, the pop became louder, then there was a spark. Then the inrush thermistor exploded.

I do wonder what the cycle count expected life of the thermistor is, but Corsair didn't comment when I asked on their forum.

FYI the replacement HX850 doesn't currently make a pop noise.

Associate
It was a brand new warranty replacement for an older model HX850 which was no longer working properly. It started making the pop noise after I downsized a UPS and started turning it on and off at the wall with everything else (monitors etc). It gradually got louder and more frequent with the popping when switching on until it went bang, very loudly. Sadly by that time (about 18 months) the warranty on the original one had finally expired.

The only reason I have a 3rd HX850 is that I didn't want to spend ages removing all the modular cables and ties from the case. Next build I think I will avoid Corsair though!

Don
Turning PSUs on and off isn’t that great a thing to do and will just hasten their demise.

Quite common for PSUs to make a pop noise when first turned on due to the in rush current into larger capacitors.

Associate
That's why it would be nice to have some sort of duty cycle for them. This is what was left of what I'm almost certain was the inrush thermistor.

YGztE1oh.jpg

Permabanned
Could be a small capacitor blew up, which may not stop it running but may compromise performance. Honestly I would not trust it.

Back
Top Bottom