psu paperclip test

Associate
As above people went to turn on my computer and for some reason it popped the fuse in the plug,
I had a check inside to see if a lead had came loose or anything else but everything seems fine.
I’ve now Swapped out the fuse and tried it again and this time it tripped my plug sockets in my house!
At this point I unplugged all the connectors in my pc and also checked the fuse again in the plug which this time hadn’t blown,
anyways now I tried the paper clip test on the psu and she’s not firing.
Does this mean she’s gone to computer heaven lol
Or is there anything else I could be missing ?

It’s a Corsair hx650

Soldato
Would seem so to me - it sounds like something is shorting inside it. When you say "Popped the fuse" - do you mean there was an audible pop? As it may be a capacitor rather than the fuse, which would usually melt.

Associate
OP
Popped the fuse in the plug (240v) that plugs into the mains.
And no, no noise smoke cracks pops or anything from the pc itself. Just the actual fuse that blew.

Soldato
If it is blowing fuses then the issue is likely in the mains voltage side of the PSU as most PSUs these days have over current protections on the low voltage side that would just switch the PSU off and not blow your electrics.

Could be the mains lead shorting across live and neutral. If not then maybe a transformer or capacitor in the PSU has emitted the magic smoke. The lead is easy to replace, the other bits n bobs, don't even try.

I had a mains lead once with too wide a brass contact for the pins on the PSU, maybe they'd worn over time. They arced and blew a fuse.

Associate
OP
I did test the mains lead with a multi meter.
Must be one of the caps I’m guessing like you said,
Wonder what the chances of getting a replacement if the warranty seal ain’t broke ? Ain’t got the recipes thow.

Associate
OP
Not gonna bother opening it up, can’t be bothered to be honest I’ve done all the checks I can from the outside,
Also Don’t want to risk sourcing a cheap Chinese component and it breaking on me again 2 weeks down the road lol.
Going to stick a ticket in to Corsair and see if they knock me back or not.
Can only try

Soldato
For the record I've repaired more dangerous things than a power supply, if you can source a good replacement part it can definitely be worth it.

Were I in your position I would also have attempted to RMA it though.

Associate
I might do it myself, but I wouldn't recommend it to others - this kind of stupid thing falls under the "do as I say, not as I do" school of thought :D

cbr

cbr

Associate
Funny this, few years ago I bought a Corsair tx650 that done the same thing, i changed the fuse, it worked for 2 weeks then went bang (loud) but was lucky it did'nt take anything with it.
Corsair RMA (pricey P&P, has this changed) any way they sent me a new one, i couldn't trust it so it sat in the box for about 2 years. I put it in a basic system 3 months ago for xmas.
And a week ago it blew the fuse in the plug, it's now in the bin.
Funny thing is I have a Corsair hx850 and it's been fine, if not for this, I would be really put off Corsair PSUs

Soldato
Corsair don't manufacturer PSUs, that's an important thing to consider, they are just re branded.

Some are very well made, some are not.

Corsair just get a manufacturer to make a psu to thier preferable spec. Then they just put thier stickers on it.

The multitude of different models and naming conventions in thier current line up alludes to this.

Associate
Corsair has several manufacturers for their PSUs - some use better quality components than others, mainly the capacitors.

It's hit and miss depending on the model number and year of manufacture - I still recommend them though, after a search for complaints about the specific model.

Back
Top Bottom