PSU Problem??

Soldato
I'm having a problem with a system powering off.. just black screen and off. all parts apart from the Motherboard and PSU and known good.
motherboard is second hand and PSU is new.
The problem happens all the time, after about 10 mins of gaming but also from desktop and browsing the web but takes a little longer.
at first i thought ram but i know the ram is good as it came out of my old system.

CPU: Ryzen 5600
Mobo: MSI B550 Gaming 3
Ram: 16gb Corsair 3600mhz RGB pro + lighting kit
SSD: 500gb NV1
GPU: Sapphire RX 6700 XT Nitro+
PSU: GIGABYTE GP-P650B-UK 80+

No blue screen and no record are system fault in logs. just hard off.

the funny thing, i can run furmark and cinebench on there own and at the same time no problems.
Ram passes MemTest MT5

Any ideas..

Soldato
The gigabyte PSU immediately rings alarm bells, 650w is cutting it fine, if I'm not mistaken there was a recall on some of the GP line of psu's the overcurrent protection was set too high meaning that a PSU could draw way too much power causing units to explode. Gamers nexus had a video showing such a case.

I would look at another PSU and look at something else than gigabyte.

Soldato
650W is more than enough for that spec, I have a 550W with the same GPU and a 5700X and 64GB RAM and reading my wall plug energy monitoring it has never pulled more than about 350w from the wall under the heaviest gaming.

Soldato
6700xt nitro has a base board power of 260w but that doesn't account for power spikes when in gaming or benchmarking, any kind of power off usually indicates a PSU foremost, if you can rule out power problems next step is temp checking, maybe something is running hot?.

The GP line of gigabyte psu's send shivers down my spine, yes the affected batches should be fixed now but it damaged there rep.

Soldato
OP
The 6700xt games at 180w as it’s under volted and the cpu is locked at 65w as for gaming you don’t need any more

I’ll contact the shop as there as been no problems since fitting my psu

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom