• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PSU/Quad core/Overclock potential

Associate
Hi it was my birthday so I am upgrading my PC I am hoping to get a motherboard, ram and processor. What I was thinking of is..

ASUS P5B Deluxe mobo
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-8500
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Firstly what are peoples opinions on those parts. A good buy? Is it worth going quad core yet? I should just be able to afford all that, though an E6600 would be much more affordable I probably wont be able to upgrade again for a while so am trying to get something that will last. Also I have heard the lower speed Ballistix ram is a very good deal at the moment and overclocks well. But is it actually as good, at some point I want to try overclocking the processor, would the better quality ram help much? Also is it a good choice mobo for that?

Lastly slightly worried about my PSU. It is 450W will it handle that processor with an X1800XT GPU?

Btw I do not plan to overclock straight away I do not think I will need to, but I want to be able to when I need to. Anyone know how far the q6600 can go. Would it reach 3ghz per core you think? 12 combined ghz would be nice round number.

Thanks for reading all this and thanks for any help.

Associate
OP
They look pretty much the same to me...slightly lower price on one but it is slower. Any real differences?

Also how noticeable do people think it will be moving up from an athlon64-4000, should be pretty nippy right?

Associate
Yeah will be an awesome upgrade

Go with the Xeons they will overclock like beasts *we hope* and they tend to draw less power and do not produce as much heat. If you system is on a lot of the time underload i would go with the Xeon as that is what they are designed for. the extra £12 for the X3220 2.40GHz will be worth it. If they do overclock as we want them to (better than C2D) then you will get away with the x3210.

Associate
OP
Would it work with the same motherboard and ram?

I just read the thread on them and they do sound pretty good, especially if they do overclock as people hope they will. They sold quick though.

Back
Top Bottom