PSU Recomendations

Associate
I am after a new PSU for the following pc build from second hand parts. I understand the psu is not a part to cut corners on but I cant afford to over spend if I dont need to.
Spec of build.

Asus P6T SE
Xeon 5650
Radeon 7970
12gb ram
2x 240gb ssd
1x 2tb hd

I intend to overclock and to upgrade the gpu when i can afford it.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mzal

Man of Honour
I would be wanting a 650w unit for that setup, especially if you are overclocking. With a power hungry pc like that I wouldn't advise you to cut corners and skimp on the psu. Take a look at these:-

Hard wired

My basket at Overclockers UK:

The pair of Antecs are Seasonic built units with dual 12v rails of 648w and 744w respectively. Both have a 5 year warranty. The 750w is particularly good value at only £5 more than the 650w version.

The Superflower has a single 12v rail of 648w and also has a 5 year warranty.

Semi-modular

This has a 744w single 12v rail and a 5 year warranty.

Modular

Both are Seasonic built units both have a single 12v rail of 648w and both have a 5 year warranty.

I would have included the EVGA Supernova G2 650w as it's a better unit and has a 7 year warranty but it's out of stock here.

Last edited:
Associate
Good recommendations pasty but I don't think the Antec TruePower PSUs are single rail, the 750w is certainly dual 35amp 12v and I think it forces all GPUs (PCI connectors) onto 12v2. See here. Is there something I'm missing?

Soldato
Thanks for the recomendations pastymuncher and Pulseammo. Is there any benefit of single rail over dual rail?

The "benefit" is you don't need to think about spreading the loads across the rails. Only really an issue with multiple hungry GPUs.

Most of the time there's no practical difference.

Back
Top Bottom