PSU sparks once but seems to work OK

Soldato
This seems like a bit of a long shot but maybe someone here has seen this before or can offer some advice.

I bought a workstation containing a (classic) Enermax Liberty 400 W PSU, but it has a peculiar fault.

The first time I turned the power on at the rear switch it sparked inside the PSU and the system fans span up briefly before stopping again. It was loud and I thought the PSU was done for. :eek:

After a couple of minutes all seemed OK (there was no sign of damage, smoke, bad smell etc.) so I pressed the case power button. The machine turned on fine and works absolutely normally as far as I can tell.

Any time I switch the rear power switch off and on, however, it will spark (but much less violently than the first time).

In summary, the first time the PSU is powered up it sparks, otherwise it seems normal.

To try to diagnose the problem I disconnected all the PSU wires and did the usual test (short pins 15/16) expecting it to spark, but to my surprise got NO spark. (The PSU was still in the chassis.)

Anyone got any ideas? I wonder if something came loose in transit, or is shorting somewhere it shouldn't be. Also I'm wondering if it being well-behaved when isolated is a clue, and/or the fact that it seems to try and turn on (fans spin up then down).

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.

I got the chap I bought it from on the phone today. He said he bought it NOS and it sparked for him too but he assumed it was a one off. Strange things happen I suppose.

My instinct would be to replace it with one of these, unless there's anything worth getting closer to the £30 mark? I like the efficiency as it'll be used in an attic that gets very hot in the summer.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £56.45
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
OP
Thanks to pastymuncher's very nice post yesterday (post #3 here) I think I've settled on the Seasonic S12II. It has the same 5 year warranty, at low loads (<150W) I won't notice the efficiency difference (review links below), and it's £7 cheaper.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=185
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=250

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £38.99
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Back
Top Bottom