• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PSU suitable for Crossfire?

Soldato
Hi, I'm getting a PC from a competitor, and its a 700W PSU.

It's name is **********PC Performance ATX 2.0 Power - Quad SLI Ready

I know it says Quad SLi, but can I run two 4890's through this in crossfire.

The PC:
Core i5 (to be overclocked @ around 3.8)
XtremeGear HDT 120 Xtreme CPU Cooler (To cool the i5)
GigaByte P55M-UD2
4GB OCZ Gold series @ 1600mhz - DDR3
500GB Hard Drive
LG DVD Drive.

Associate
That mobo supports both sli and crossfire.700 watt psu should be fine for crossfire 4890s but would need more like 1000 watter for crossfire 4870 x2s.Id wait for the next gent ati cards though.

Last edited:
Associate
The biggest factor is the quality of the PSU. An unbranded (or just naff) 700w PSU will be the equivalent of a 300w good one.

Take my 600w Enermax (yes, im a fan) sitting beside me waiting to go into my new gaming rig (hurry up ati) it shows 2x18amps on the 12v rail. so 36 amps.

This is a much better indicator. If your planning on running two modern cards then I'd aim for 40amps.

The zalman fan controller in my server says its using 180w atm with a 850w akasa (specs unknown as I can't be bothered to take the side off. It's running 5 disks and an overclocked settup but rarely gets loaded.

The bottom line is never, ever buy a crap PSU. Apart form anything else, if it fails it could take out anything and possibly everything else! :O

Back
Top Bottom