PSU went bang!

Associate
I have a bit of a dodgy case and sometimes you have to tap the USB ports on the front of the case to get the machine to turn on.

Never really bothered me as normally my PC is on 24/7 anyway.

Anyways, went to turn it on last night and I heard a bang. Smelt burning and my PC wouldn't turn on.

Guessing it's the PSU - Is it likely to have taken out my HDD's etc too?

Cheers.

Depends on how lucky you are and how good the protection in the PSU was. I have seen PSU's blow and do no damage but i have also seen them blow and destroy everything in the system.

I've had 2 psu's go bang on me. First time it did no damage to the other components 2nd time it took out the CPU motherboard and soundcard (worth around £200 and left the 8mb Ati rage card! - worth nothing). Luck of the draw I guess.

Phaser said:
I have a bit of a dodgy case and sometimes you have to tap the USB ports on the front of the case to get the machine to turn on.

Never really bothered me as normally my PC is on 24/7 anyway.

Anyways, went to turn it on last night and I heard a bang. Smelt burning and my PC wouldn't turn on.

Guessing it's the PSU - Is it likely to have taken out my HDD's etc too?

Cheers.

Hi there I refurbish about 100 computers a month and get lots of PSU's go bang, it’s a bit like Russian rulet when plugging them in and it can be funny when they go with a loud bang, I must say when they do go bang they rarely take out the mobo etc. a small tip that I found is put a 56k modem in the machine as when the PSU goes it takes out the modem first and nothing else, so many machines I have taken the blown modem and PSU out and the machine fires up no problem.

if its such a dodgey case, the psu you take out a lot, as the psu earths quite often through the case.

which could point to the reason why you originaly had to wiggle the front usb ports.

Unlucky fella,

Hope its all well though.

rgzcampbell said:
I've had 2 psu's go bang on me. First time it did no damage to the other components 2nd time it took out the CPU motherboard and soundcard (worth around £200 and left the 8mb Ati rage card! - worth nothing). Luck of the draw I guess.
what make was your first power supply

R.I.P. :D

boom3.gif

Have to love blown power supplies mine mostly die of old age and give off pretty purple smoke id like to think its the PSU's soul going to a beter place :D
R.I.P

El Grif said:
Have to love blown power supplies mine mostly die of old age and give off pretty purple smoke id like to think its the PSU's soul going to a beter place :D
R.I.P

A better place? The extractor fan or the smoke alarm? lol :p

SiriusB

It was just a cheapo jobbie.

Couldn't get anything to power on yesterday. Had just about given up and was sat down and suddenly it turned on. Everything works fine which I guess was really lucky.

Daren't turn it off now though in case I can't get it back on!

Back
Top Bottom