PSU went bang!

Phaser said:
It was just a cheapo jobbie.

Couldn't get anything to power on yesterday. Had just about given up and was sat down and suddenly it turned on. Everything works fine which I guess was really lucky.

Daren't turn it off now though in case I can't get it back on!

Err, disconnect those USB ports man. Cant believe you didnt before...

MC_Bob

Right just disconnected them.

PC starts up as soon as you press the power button now. No having to mess about.

However, a couple of the cables said ground on them. Am I safe in running the PC as I am? Cant find any specific "ground" markings on the motherbaord, just the USB ones which they were plugged into.

Can I just say PSU's can hold lethal charge for months after they have been switched off, and NEVER open them up for anything unless you are qualified and using the proper precautions.

You were a idiot for opening it up and replacing the fuse, you do know that all the components in the PSU will now have been subjected to more stress and your PSU may not trip out if there is a fault, possibly frying all your bits or sending nasty stuff into you?

If your PSU has blown, for any reason, RMA it or bin it, NEVER go into it.

They have warnings of death on them for good reason, they can be lethal at the slightest touch.

You can actually discharge them, although they will keep a residual charge for a while unless you really go to town on them, best leave them be as already stated unless you know what you are doing, and most importantly ...what NOT to touch :p

wicked88 said:
a small tip that I found is put a 56k modem in the machine as when the PSU goes it takes out the modem first and nothing else, so many machines I have taken the blown modem and PSU out and the machine fires up no problem.

That sounds a bit voodoo to me! Why on earth would a PCI card (modem or not) affect if when a PSU blows, (a) a current spike is generated, and (b) what that spike damages?

ps: I had a PSU blow (within about 10 mins of putting it in once) and luckily it damaged nothing.
pps: I did not have a 56K 'voodoo' modem attached :)

A good tip to help the PSU discharge, is to turn the power off to the machine, and then to try and power it up. A lot of the charge in the PSU will be used up!

When I've worked on PSU's (eg: changed fans etc) I've done that, and then left them overnight and worked on them the next day... No shocks yet!

Back
Top Bottom