PU Leather long term?

Associate
I'm considering pulling the trigger on a Noblechairs Icon. I'd prefer no animals to be harmed in defence of my ass, but I'm worried that in my experience PU leather goes hard and cracks after a couple of years... My current chair as an example (purchased late 2015) https://i.imgur.com/75PNzg4.jpg

Has anyone had a Noblechairs PU leather chair for a couple of years and can put my mind to rest?

Soldato
You cant avoid enviromental damage either way to be fair, but leather lasts a hell of a lot longer than Pu leather. Better to buy a natural product that will last three times as long (if not longer) than a plastic that crumbles and ends up all over the shop.

Thought about second hand shopping for a decent leather seat? Most enviromental way really, other than not buying anything and making do.

Associate
I'd try to go for something made from fabric rather than fake leather if you want to avoid animal products. I had a PU leather chair previously where the arm rest covering cracked after about 18 months and left an edge sharp enough to draw blood on a couple of occasions. It's fine for cheap furniture that you don't mind replacing fairly often but if you're spending a good chunk o' change it's pretty naff.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I ordered a real leather icon from ocuk on Saturday in the end.

It was supposed to be delivered today, but according to the tracking is delayed at Gatwick (what is it doing at Gatwick???) And now won't be here until Thursday due to Xmas :(

Soldato
My AK Racing chair lasted for 3 year with no damage. Until my cat jumped on it and made one small nick. Since then, over time, it just peels away with sitting off and on it.

Man of Honour
I've rarely found a full leather or PU computer chair stands up to more than about 18 months of my use :( before surfaces start wearing off/cracking especially the forward edge of the seat and arm rests. One thing which you do need to be careful with as well is cleaning them especially any liquids need to be thoroughly dried immediately or they will start peeling/cracking very quickly.

Soldato
I've rarely found a full leather or PU computer chair stands up to more than about 18 months of my use :( before surfaces start wearing off/cracking especially the forward edge of the seat and arm rests. One thing which you do need to be careful with as well is cleaning them especially any liquids need to be thoroughly dried immediately or they will start peeling/cracking very quickly.
Hey. So even the leather of some of these chairs is sub standard? Or are you hard on the seats?

Thinking of buying one for my lad, likely in leather as I have the same reservations on PU and I want something he would be appreciate for a few years. I hate cracking PU.

Fabric is nother option...but he is 10 and I imagine it won't be as suitable.

Associate
Hey. So even the leather of some of these chairs is sub standard? Or are you hard on the seats?

Thinking of buying one for my lad, likely in leather as I have the same reservations on PU and I want something he would be appreciate for a few years. I hate cracking PU.

Fabric is nother option...but he is 10 and I imagine it won't be as suitable.
Honestly the PU on these noblechairs seems to be fine, I am 6 years in with heavy usage and stair still looks brand new. Including taking it to 4-5 lans chucked in the car etc over the years.

Associate
well
Honestly the PU on these noblechairs seems to be fine, I am 6 years in with heavy usage and stair still looks brand new. Including taking it to 4-5 lans chucked in the car etc over the years.

I'm three years into my Noblechair Hero and the seat base has split really badly. I'd consider i've used mine as 'standard use' 4/7 evenings every week for several hours with a few whole days here and there.

Raised the issue with OCUK and was told it's considered normal wear and tear, unlucky.
I've owned several chairs in the past and never spent as much as £350 on a chair before and expected somewhat better performance than that, quite disappointed really.

Photo for reference

IMG-2172.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah that looks awful, I cleaned mine the other day and apart from the bottom of the armrests where they knock against my desk it would be hard to tell that it was old.

I use mine a lot more than yours too.. I'll grab a pic later.

Soldato
I have a real leather noblechairs hero, after a few years heavy use by a heavy gamer, it's pretty much good as new. I'm not a massive fan of the chair particularly, but if you're gonna get one get the real leather version.

pic:
4g7fzIt.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
My real leather Hero is also still in great shape, basically still looks brand new since getting it in 2019. Used loads working from home full time and gaming since getting it.

Even if not everyone likes the size or ergonomics, the leather they use is really good as it's actual sheet leather and not scraps or composite. Sheet leather should last 20 years minimum if cleaned and treated every three months, can conceivably last decades longer. Leather composite or scraps can wear away leaving a mesh underneath, but sheet leather has much better durability.

Most of the PU ones seem durable but that picture is really bad of the PU seat splitting considering there's now two leather ones of similar age in this topic that are still as good as brand new.

Maybe could get an elasticated fabric seat cover for that split PU seat.

Soldato
I'd always go mesh, even real leather can get sweaty. Definitely would avoid PU, the leather is going to be available regardless, so buying PU isn't going to save any cows but will use a natural resource rather than wasting it.

Associate
At the time I purchased I couldn’t justify the price difference, here’s how mine looks after 6 years heavy use.

w2i9BKV

Last edited:
Soldato
my chair that cost £69 after discount (although not including my lumbar support) is still going strong.

made from a combination of mesh / PU leather. I have been careful with it, but not overly. bought it August 21.

Back
Top Bottom