Public service announcement: Recycling Green Dot Symbol

Caporegime
That's not a good idea. Whilst all recycling does get sorted to a certain extent, if a recycling bin is too contaminated with unrecyclables, the whole lot just goes to landfill or gets burnt, so everyone else's recycling efforts goes to waste (pardon the pun).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48185036

This explains why I see so many recycling bins go in to the main waste truck, I've always wondered about that. Doesn't help that everyone in out block just opens the closest bin and flings all their crap in it :mad:

Associate
Putting everything in the "recycling bin" that looks recyclable is bad, including greasy paper cardboard. They will
reject your whole bin and just take it to land fill.

I think it was on the news or some program a while back.

Soldato
OP
I’m confused... did you mean that packaging with the logo on is not recyclable now? Because it says in your post that it is recyclable?

I try and recycle wherever possible - my recycle bin is almost always so much more full than my standard rubbish bin

Which link?

Having the logo does not automatically mean recyclable. It may or may not be, depending on who/where collects it, or where you take it for disposal.

Soldato
Which link?

Having the logo does not automatically mean recyclable. It may or may not be, depending on who/where collects it, or where you take it for disposal.
I think you've made a typo in your opening post...

"I was watching BBC Watchdog earlier and learnt that the recycling green dot symbol does mean the packaging is necessarily recyclable"

... I think you meant doesn't

Caporegime
I don't even want to know about how little actually gets recycled

Contamination by public
Dumping somewhere before it gets to the plant
No enough capacity .. Send it to landfill

I bet its scarily low how much actually gets recycled

Caporegime
Companies really need to be forced into using recyclables materials or not sell the product. I don't have the time or will to research material sciences and second guess what my local council mean with their pictograms
Won't ever happen in this corporate-cosying country.

With that fact that we can't anymore just send our "recycling" to Thailand (etc) for it to be their problem, it's more likely that we'll give up on the whole charade entirely.

Councils will just burn/bury it all and say they don't have money to do anything else. Which is probably true. Partly because we're too preoccupied letting the big corps pay virtually no tax...

Back
Top Bottom