pull up alternatives

Soldato
Hi all,

I love pull ups, but I'm not going to pay £30 a month to go to the gym and do them. I used to have a pull up bar at home, but I have since moved and don't have anywhere one could go.

Is there an alternative exercise that would use the same muscles and give the same kind of resistance?

Thanks

Daven

Soldato
Do it on a door? A little more awkward but a sturdy door with a towel thrown over the top should be able to do the trick at least for palm-forward ones.

Caporegime
While it's do-able ^^^ It's not THAT comfortable, and it depends on the door frame type as to how comfortable it will be :p

I'm looking to find a way to do them also really. One member said you put a broom across the loft hatch opening?

Otherwise you'll have to add in various isolations to work the back at a guess. No idea what exercises are next best for alternatives though

Caporegime
Pull-ups are king :cool: :p

Forgot about inverted rows...But yeah, as ice said, you can get some bars that fit in between the door frames as opposed to hooking over them...Might be worth a look?

Soldato
OP
The ones I had before fitted between the frames, however they required some brackets to be installed. Since I rent my flat I can't really do that :( I have no door frames that will fit the "no installation" bars.

Inverted rows look do-able, so I will try them.

Are resistance bands any good for emulating pullups?

Thanks

Daven

Soldato
OP
True, but my wife won't like the brackets, as they will look "ugly"! Not to worry though, I'm going to ask the gym at work if they don't mind if I just use the pull up equipment for 5 mins in the morning! I will also try to find some other exercises that will work the same muscles.

Daven

Associate
Perhaps DIY something in the garden?

Alternatively, find another gym. "Pure"/"TheGym" are very budget gyms. My local "TheGym" is £10 per month.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
True, but my wife won't like the brackets, as they will look "ugly"! Not to worry though, I'm going to ask the gym at work if they don't mind if I just use the pull up equipment for 5 mins in the morning! I will also try to find some other exercises that will work the same muscles.

Daven

Bicep curls. :D

The other alternative position is the loft hatch... I used mine like that for ages. :)

Soldato
I got one of these, works like a dream, Powerbar

31zDxHu8JHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Soldato
I'm having trouble finding a decent looking ceiling mounted pull-up bar, the one I got off e-bay was naff.

I've got an Olympic bench with built in squat stands - I've considered doing pull-ups off the bar (as the bench is designed to take a good amount of weight, but it's a bit low.

Annoying as I can't do the door-frame ones (none are suitable) but really want to get back onto pull-ups (my favourite workout).

Back
Top Bottom