Pulled Pork

Suspended
I saw this made on Food Network a while ago. It's basically slow cooked pork, which is cooked over a low heat for a very long time.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it? I bought a cheap pork shoulder today and was thinking of sticking it in the slow cooker tonight with some BBQ marinade for tomorrows dinner. Can't find any recipes for it though. Only ones cooked on a BBQ or in the oven.

Man of Honour
Pulled pork is dry cooked for a long time, which is why you won't find recipes for a slow cooker. A slow cooker requires it to be submerged in liquid. Just stick it in the oven for 12 hours.

Soldato
i have cooked it before in a bbq.
but do as acidhell2 said, cook it low in an oven for around 8hrs (250.F or 120.C)
here is a pic of mine :)
before
22072011163.jpg

after
23072011164.jpg

i cooked it for 4 hours on the bbq and then 3 hours in the oven, and the meat was soooo soft. yum, yum :D
(ignore the ribs)

here is a lovely rub recipe
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

just rub it on the shoulder.

also baste it every hour, i just used some BBQ sauce and some cider/apple juice mixed and brushed on every hour.

here is full recipe from primal grill
http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=29&EpisodeID=7

Soldato
I've made it in a slow cooker before. I need to give it another go as I went for the on high for 6 hours rather than on low for 10-12 hours. It was tasty, but could've been more tender:

Old South Pulled Pork:

INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cracked black peppercorns
250ml tomato-based chili sauce
50ml packed brown sugar
50ml cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp liquid smoke (can be bought online for a few pounds)
1 boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat (1.5kg)
Kaiser or onion buns, halved and warmed (I have no idea what these are tbh!)

PREPARATION:
In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook until soft. Add garlic, chili powder and peppercorns; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke. Stir to combine; bring to a boil.

Place pork in slow cooker; pour sauce over pork. Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for 6 hours, until pork is falling apart.

Transfer pork to a cutting board; pull the meat apart in shreds, using two forks. Return to sauce and keep warm. When ready to serve, spoon shredded pork and sauce over warm buns.

It is very moorish :D

Soldato
Any of the BBQ recipes will be ok. You just can't do the smoking, the times and temps will still apply.

I did one on the BBQ last weekend 4 hours smoking with an apple/cherry wood mix and a Kansas style dry rub, then another 6 hours in the oven under foil. I think the neighbours do find you a bit odd BBQing at 7am.

It was awesome. Someone posted a recipe on here a few weeks ago, not USA Southern style but still pulled pork: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18299189

Last edited:
Permabanned
I've made it in a slow cooker before. I need to give it another go as I went for the on high for 6 hours rather than on low for 10-12 hours. It was tasty, but could've been more tender:

Old South Pulled Pork:

INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cracked black peppercorns
250ml tomato-based chili sauce
50ml packed brown sugar
50ml cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp liquid smoke (can be bought online for a few pounds)
1 boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat (1.5kg)
Kaiser or onion buns, halved and warmed (I have no idea what these are tbh!)

PREPARATION:
In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook until soft. Add garlic, chili powder and peppercorns; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke. Stir to combine; bring to a boil.

Place pork in slow cooker; pour sauce over pork. Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for 6 hours, until pork is falling apart.

Transfer pork to a cutting board; pull the meat apart in shreds, using two forks. Return to sauce and keep warm. When ready to serve, spoon shredded pork and sauce over warm buns.

It is very moorish :D

What sort of pork should I ask the chap in Asda for? Also is the time scale right in making the sauce before you put the pig in the oven?

Thanks. Wouldn't mind giving this a try! :o

Soldato
I watch diners, drive-ins and dives on food network some of the food is amazing at the BBQ places stuff we can only dream of in the uk I have found a place in London but the price is through the roof.

It's crazy when you think about it. You can goto places when you are driving around the US which have been cooking Ribs/Pulled Pork for 10+ hours and it still only costs you $10 (£6.50) or less in some cases, and that's with Fries and Roll as well.

Soldato
What sort of pork should I ask the chap in Asda for? Also is the time scale right in making the sauce before you put the pig in the oven?

Thanks. Wouldn't mind giving this a try! :o

Just a boned pork shoulder joint.

This is a slow cooker recipe so you make the sauce first and then cook the pork in the sauce (in the slow cooker) for 10-12 hours, makes the house smell lovely! :D

You can also just use a dry rub and cook the pork in an oven or smoker as in j.col's post :)

Soldato
It's crazy when you think about it. You can goto places when you are driving around the US which have been cooking Ribs/Pulled Pork for 10+ hours and it still only costs you $10 (£6.50) or less in some cases, and that's with Fries and Roll as well.

It's mad isn't it. After watching one of these shows or Man V Food episodes I always day dream about opening my own BBQ pit :D

Soldato
As part of a road trip in 2009, I pretty much became addicated to Pulled Pork. I'd endeavour to order it in every state we went through (about 40 states in total) and decide on which state/restaurant had the best - the strange things you do when you're bored!

Anyway, my personal favourite was this place: http://www.smokindavesq.com/about-us/

The menu was amazing (15 hr slow cooked), beer was good (certainly affects you at over 7,000 ft altitude) and the drive back into the national park to sleep in our tent was one of the scariest things I've ever done!

If you're anywhere near Denver/Boulder, you should hunt this place down.

Soldato
I watch diners, drive-ins and dives on food network some of the food is amazing at the BBQ places stuff we can only dream of in the uk I have found a place in London but the price is through the roof.

Bodeon's in London is like a fast-foody type place. It's London prices but for lunch it's not outrageous. Their main sammich is a pulled pork one, the Soho special. Is that the one you mean?
http://www.bodeansbbq.com/_documents/takeaway_menu.pdf

Back
Top Bottom