Pulling my hair out with home networking...

Soldato
May I suggest option 4 which is a decent mesh setup?

Given in part my house is old and in part we're living in the future so why would I be tearing my house apart to put wires in the walls I've gone with the BT whole home setup plugged into my router which is currently receiving Sky FTTC (I've removed all Sky hardware as it's junk).

So I have 4 dishes placed around the house and 1 in the garden room. They create a really solid full speed wifi network and then for items I need hard wired (such as sky mini boxes and my main PC for wake on lan) I run either a network cable from the back of the dish to the "thing" ie box or PC or in the cases where I need more than one thing plugged in I run a cable from the dish to a switch and then from the switch to the "thing".

So basically I have a full speed mesh that can 100% mimic a wired network whenever it needs to.

You could do the same... plug whatever mesh setup you want into your router and then add more at spots in your house to extend the wifi to your pc. Break off from those mesh points to switches and then hard wire anything you want wired.

And dear god get rid of the powerline stuff, I've only ever experienced that to be patchy at best.

Soldato
The landline is VoIP because it has to be. There isn't a copper line going into the OP's house so it has to be delivered over the fibre.

VoIP services when they're delivered by an ISP are generaly terminated onto the router that they supply. So n teh back of the router there's going to be a BT style telephone socket which a normal phone can be plugged into. That ISP router most likely has some form of wireless connectivity for the VoIP side of things too, DECT for example.

Associate
I understand why voip is in use but I would verify why it needs to be directly into the router.

Possibly QOS is configured on that port or it holds some scope options for the DHcP for thr handset perhaps. I would verify the config before assuming that it should ‘because it’s labelled’

Soldato
It has to be into the router because that's where the physical socket for the telephone is. The VoIP service is presented as a BT style socket (a BS 6312 431A connector to be exact).

Man of Honour
I understand why voip is in use but I would verify why it needs to be directly into the router.

Possibly QOS is configured on that port or it holds some scope options for the DHcP for thr handset perhaps. I would verify the config before assuming that it should ‘because it’s labelled’

Easily overcome with an adapter.
You what mate?

Soldato
I’d leave the router where it is, run a couple of cables from there into the loft in some conduit on an exterior wall.

From there you can drop down into all of the upstairs rooms and use gutter down pipes to hide canes behind to get back to the ground floor. Put a dedicated WiFi access point on the landing ceiling, that should cover the whole house.

Ditch the land line, I don’t know why anyone under the age of 80 pays extra for one/a calling plan. If you don’t already have unlimited minutes on your mod bike, pay the £2 more a month needed to get it.

I’ve managed to get all the elderly people I know off landlines and onto smartphones. All of them didn’t realise what they were missing all these years, all it took was a bit of encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom