Pump Help

Associate
Afternoon,

I currently have a EK Res/Pump combo (EK-XRES 140 Revo), however the pump has had it, grinds, rattles the case, loop has little bits of plastic crap in, the pump is that loud when at 100% the wife can hear it through the walls, however if i set it at low RPM it's fine.

My question is, it's currently this pump: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...pump-motor-with-sleeved-cables-wc-9vh-ek.html - However it's out of stock, are all D5 pumps universal or is this pump taylored to this res?

Any recommendations would be much apprenticed

All the best

Matt

Associate
I have that exact same pump/res combo. Did you use/try the additional rubber damper that came with it? That might help a bit, although it does sound like there is something wrong, as mine on full tilt makes no noise at all.

I'm no expert on pumps + tops, but my understanding is that the manufacturers add their own tops to the pumps, so they can be utilized on their various res's etc. You can also get "naked" pumps, onto which you can add your own tops etc.

It stands to reason then that that pump should work with the res you have, although as the REVO is now EOL, I am not 100% sure. You could ask EK directly, I am sure they would point you in the right direction.

Associate
OP
I have that exact same pump/res combo. Did you use/try the additional rubber damper that came with it? That might help a bit, although it does sound like there is something wrong, as mine on full tilt makes no noise at all.

I'm no expert on pumps + tops, but my understanding is that the manufacturers add their own tops to the pumps, so they can be utilized on their various res's etc. You can also get "naked" pumps, onto which you can add your own tops etc.

It stands to reason then that that pump should work with the res you have, although as the REVO is now EOL, I am not 100% sure. You could ask EK directly, I am sure they would point you in the right direction.

I've got the extra damper on it mate, it only happend in the last 6/8 months so i took it all to bits, found all the plastic and gunk around the pump so i can only assume the pumps gone bad!

Thanks for the help, i'll see if anyone can give a bit more advice :)

Thanks

Matt

Permabanned
I've got the extra damper on it mate, it only happend in the last 6/8 months so i took it all to bits, found all the plastic and gunk around the pump so i can only assume the pumps gone bad!

Thanks for the help, i'll see if anyone can give a bit more advice :)

Thanks

Matt
do you have colour in your solution ? dye ? if so i'd be looking at your blocks pumps are normally the last thing to go .. easy 5yrs or more ..

Associate
OP
do you have colour in your solution ? dye ? if so i'd be looking at your blocks pumps are normally the last thing to go .. easy 5yrs or more ..

Nope, always ran the clear mayhems pure h20! CPU block was replaced maybe a year ago for an EK RGB one, GPU has only been in the loop for say half a year, i've taken both apart and are free of debris etc

Cheers

Associate
If you've got bits of plastic in your loop you should stop using it immediately, it sounds like the impeller might have been damaged? Either that or something has come loose in the loop and caused the damage.

As Mike said, a d5 is a d5 so you can get any rebadge you like and replace but don't use that loop until you do!

Associate
OP
A D5 is a D5 so yes, any D5 will work with your reservoir. Should be a straight swap.

Thank you! can you recommended any that OC stock?

If you've got bits of plastic in your loop you should stop using it immediately, it sounds like the impeller might have been damaged? Either that or something has come loose in the loop and caused the damage.

As Mike said, a d5 is a d5 so you can get any rebadge you like and replace but don't use that loop until you do!

I drained and dismantled the loop previously (maybe 6 months ago) it was like more like sludge kinda grease around the impeller, however it works and seems ok, just rattles like mad and shakes my whole P3 case which is mounted on the wall so as you can imagine quite loud!

Thanks for all the replys.

Matt

Associate
Any Laing D5 should fit.
Used quite few of the pump you have (build, use for a while, sell, build again), and was always surprised how silent they're, even at full blast.
If you can see bits loose in the coolant, I would recommend the painful task of flushing every single component, and a good scrub (but gentle) on the waterblock fins, as they can hold quite a lot of particles.
Used, without issue, the Alphacool VPP755. Some users reported that the pump wouldn't start every time, but used 2 for over a year, no issue. They were quieter than the standard D5 from EK, but despite the manufacturer claims, they don't perform any better than a regular D5. I would estimate 80-90% performance.

Back to your issue, I would guess that the pump is faulty. Running dry for few seconds is enough to cause damage, depending on your luck.

Back
Top Bottom