Pump threads!!!

Soldato
Hi guys was just setting up my new custom water tonight, and upon leak testing, i spotted a little leak from one of the pump barbs (dtek db1).

When i took the loop apart and had a closer look, it seems that the thread in the pump for attaching the barbs is wearing abit thin, still ok, but one turn to much and it goes lose again.

Would you recommend that i get myself some PTFE Tape, and use that, or to just get a new pump, ovbiously new pump would cost more lol.

Soldato
Hmm, what to spec for a worn out thread.

The thread is plastic so you're stuffed there, it won't get any better. You could however reinforce the connection with epoxy or plastic. Literally holding and sealing the barb and pump together.

£5 or less.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tip, i'll look into the epoxy stuff, not sure what it is, but im sure the nice fella in my local hardware store can sort me out, and advise, and if a no go, then new pump i guess.

Im deffinatly gonna get some tape for the other components though, kind of annoying, but thats why we leak test lol.

Soldato
The common version has araldite written on it, two tubes. Sets some time after they're mixed, I'd put some halfway down the thread, screw it in, then put some around the gap between barb and pump. The longer it cures for the better really, but the tube will tell you more.

Shouldn't need tape with O rings, but O rings do perish. Tape frays mind. I avoid plastic threads as much as I can to avoid the issue you've run into, but you're going to be fine here.

Soldato
OP
Yeh im gonna try not to mess it up with to much epoxy, and then leak test out of the case.

If it still dos'nt play ball, then new pump time. Spoted the Ocz pumps, they look very much like the DB1 (stats and stuff) ideal for what im after and not to pricey.

For my needs the top end pumps are to much really, but the 800lph ocz seems spot on...

Bleh i'll see how the epoxy goes..

Again many thanks guys.

Associate
from your description the barb has been overtightened (this is what causes threads to go as you described )
if you get a new pump be careful when tightening

Soldato
OP
Yeh i'll be getting the tape and the epoxy at the same time, but will try tape first, if that, fails then epoxy, and if i bodge that up then new pump.

Iv noticed there is a newer version of the DB1 pump (800lph) for around £40, also the Ocz pumps seem to be identical to the DB1 in both looks and stats.

What do you guys think to those pumps? I would love to go for really top end pump, but sadly budget won't strech that far.

And again many thanks for ur suggestions guys.

Back
Top Bottom