Purchasing an iMac

Commissario
My opinion is that the default security that comes built into MacOS is better than the built in security that comes with Windows but still many many people say that there’s no need to add an additional layer of AV or protection to Windows.

I have no issues with what anyone does or recommends, I base my feelings on what I’m happy with and would encourage everyone to do whatever they’re comfortable with.

How’s that for fence sitting? ;)

Permabanned
If you value portability at all get a MacBook Pro and a 4k monitor with USB-C support. Works brilliantly and only needs the one cable to connect and charges it.

E1815_B2_D-22_FF-41_D8-_AC6_E-088_D74_C3_F06_E.jpg

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thing is, the iMac screen is amazing. You can't buy anything like it except for the LG ultra fine. 27" 4k scaled to 1440p just isn't that crisp compared to the 5k 27".

Soldato
My opinion is that the default security that comes built into MacOS is better than the built in security that comes with Windows but still many many people say that there’s no need to add an additional layer of AV or protection to Windows.

I have no issues with what anyone does or recommends, I base my feelings on what I’m happy with and would encourage everyone to do whatever they’re comfortable with.

How’s that for fence sitting? ;)

Its a more responsible reply, we don't all have Pi-hole adding another layer of protection ;)

Soldato
I agree with Feek, and disagree with you. 12 years, zero problems. I occasionally install Sophos and give it a quick scan. No need to run anything 24x7, unless an exploit hits the news and isn't quickly patched.

Another here, I have not installed any AV on my device at all since I have moved over to an iMac in 2014

Soldato
That wouldn't be an issue, how would it pass on to windows based machines without infecting the Mac? To pass it on your Mac would naturally need to be infected for the virus to be active.

Email, via infected attachments, sharing docs via DropBox for example without realising they're infected with stuff. I guess you're just referring to self-replicating active type infections? I'm just talking in general.

I haven't had any issues with infections, but I haven't been burgled either, and yet I still lock my doors.

EDITed to add, I don't have any active scanning in place on my kit. I do however have scheduled scans to run, usually along side my backups. I also have copies of my data up in the cloud that are *not* sync'd locally, mainly to avoid any potential ransomware type stuff.

Soldato
Email, via infected attachments, sharing docs via DropBox for example without realising they're infected with stuff. I guess you're just referring to self-replicating active type infections? I'm just talking in general.

I haven't had any issues with infections, but I haven't been burgled either, and yet I still lock my doors.

EDITed to add, I don't have any active scanning in place on my kit. I do however have scheduled scans to run, usually along side my backups. I also have copies of my data up in the cloud that are *not* sync'd locally, mainly to avoid any potential ransomware type stuff.

That’s an odd implementation of AV software as thereis no point to AV software unless it is active scanning all the time. If you are already infected by the time the scheduled scan runs it’s too late, key logger have your passwords or the whole machine is bit locked making it completely redundant.

That being said active scanning doesn’t sometimes pick up dormant viruses held in attachments shared by email or drop box until you run the program so AV isn’t going to pick those up unless you are manually scanning constantly. You likely would have shared and infected users between scans anyway.

Soldato
Those sort of dormant viruses don't infect macOS. They are Windows specific.

XProtect stops Malware running, Gatekeeper stops non-admin users installing potentially applications (unless you've turned it off, then it's on you). Apps are sandboxed.

Back
Top Bottom