Push/Pull Fan question

Associate
Keep in mind that the fins per inch (FPI) vary a lot between radiators. I have one of the large Alphacool NexXxos Nova 1080 45mm radiators which I run external with 9 Arctic P12 in push configuration. I did consider going Push/Pull, but I simply do not need any additional cooling in my system (i9 10900KF and RTX 3080 320 watt locked version). The radiator has very low FPI so low resistance to air, and the single fan in push setup seems to move enough air to cool the water nicely.

If I had a Mo-Ra3 or the 60mm version of the NexXxos I would have gone push pull I think.

Associate
OP
One more query, sorry! (I know I need to stop asking questions and try some things out for myself :) )

Quick opinion check: What do you guys think between a Push/Pull setup on a HWLabs Nemesis GTS, versus a Pull setup on HWLabs Nemesis GTX?

From what I can ascertain the GTS will do very well on low rpms in Push/Pull, whereas the thicker GTX then performs better than this at higher rpms in Push. Given I am aiming for a low rpm system as far as possible, would the GTS in push/pull be a better option than GTX in Push or Pull? This would be to compliment a system build with two other 360s, one of them a GTX, the other either a GTS, or an Alphacool nexxos XT45, cooling a 11900k block and a 3080 waterblock both with some OCing intended.

Had understood thicker rads are generally better, but curiously the thinner rad in P/P works better, according to the xtreemrigs tests.

Thanks guys, almost there..! :)

Man of Honour
Where did you find that the GTS beats the GTX in push/pull? The GTX is actually much better than the GTS in push/pull at any fan speed which was the main reason I went for GTX280's in my setup. The only time that the GTS beats the GTX is at 750rpm in push only. See here. I usually run my GTX 280's at 750rpm in push/pull with 8x Arctic Cooling P14 fans but with this warmer weather have had to increase fan speeds to 1080rpm to keep my water temps in the low 20's (personal preference). Leaving them at 750rpm would still give me water temps of less than 30 degrees C but low 20's makes my GPU boost higher. These temps are only possible because my rads have outside air going through them.

Soldato
I Swapped out 3 x Corsair ML20 fans on my 45mm Radiator (they were too loud at high rpm) for 6 x Arctic P12 which lowered my water temps while gaming from 40C to 35C (Ambient temps 22C), and it was also much quieter.

Adding another 240 Rad helped reduce the water temp to 33C.

When not gaming, my fans are all running at less than 800 rpm, So the only sound I can hear is from the D5 Vario pump (3 setting) with water temps at 27C.

I have a 5900X and 3080 FE.

That's the best thing about watercooling the absolute silence, I've got my 17 fans now at 400rpm when not gaming and it's like absolutely dead silent - can hear a pin drop in the room

Associate
OP
Where did you find that the GTS beats the GTX in push/pull? The GTX is actually much better than the GTS in push/pull at any fan speed which was the main reason I went for GTX280's in my setup. The only time that the GTS beats the GTX is at 750rpm in push only. See here. I usually run my GTX 280's at 750rpm in push/pull with 8x Arctic Cooling P14 fans but with this warmer weather have had to increase fan speeds to 1080rpm to keep my water temps in the low 20's (personal preference). Leaving them at 750rpm would still give me water temps of less than 30 degrees C but low 20's makes my GPU boost higher. These temps are only possible because my rads have outside air going through them.

I think - but might be misunderstanding the data - that GTS in Push / Pull, is better than GTX in Push, up to around 1500rpm, at which point GTX becomes better as RPMs increase. So Push/Pull vs Push/Pull, yes GTX is better. But it appears that lower RPMs is a slightly better cooling on a Push/Pull GTS vs a Push or Pull GTX. Hope that makes sense!

Obviously at higher fans speeds = more noise. 6 fans on a GTS at sub 700rpms in Push/Pull, vs 3 on a GTX in Push or Pull, that's a question of acoustic trade-off. As the RPMs increase obviously the Push/Pull GTS may well be louder.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom