Putting a 7200rpm in a PS3..

Soldato
I know the recommendation is a 5400rpm.. However what are the actual draw backs of putting a 7200rpm in a ps3 (slim in this particular case?)

Are there any reported problems in doing so? Will the extra speed create extra heat? making it a big no no ?

How many of you guys have 7200rpm's in your PS3's without hiccup? and if so for how long ?

I'm getting a new slim delivered today, and i do have a spare large capacity 7200rpm knocking around, so it would make sense to upgrade it now, rather than doing it later. The PS3 is coming with a 160gig, so its not exactly the end of the world if I just leave it as is.. Especially as I stream most things.. But as we'll all agree, the extra space is nice and no better time than new to fit it.

Soldato
Reason most people use 5400 is the 7200 gives marginal speed improvements, typically not much more than 1s for load times and 10s for installs.

Downsides are negligible, typically an increase in temperature of about 5 degrees between the two.

If buying new purely for replacement, it's normally cheaper to opt for 5400 and not worth the extra for the extremely marginal improvements of a 7200.

I assume you know it has to be a 2.5" drive?

Soldato
Windle ticks all the boxes.

I've got a 120 slim and have about 80gb free. I have a media server though so the PS3 HDD is literally just for games.

Soldato
OP
Thing is some people on the web say, its fine, others say no extra heat.. Hence some real life experience is what I'm after. I'm not going to go out and buy a 5400rpm, but i do have a 7200rpm sitting around. Would you put it in ?

Soldato
Yes.

In a slim there will be absolutely no issues at all. In the original fats any extra heat was bad because it was already running hot.

Soldato
I don't think I've heard people talk about putting an SSD in the PS3 here. Is it not possible to do so? Or just too expensive?

I've seen a few reviews/tests/videos of people doing this. General consensus is that it makes a rather noticeable difference to HDD-intensive games/tasks (such as downloaded games) but the benefit is diminished on titles that rely heavily on the disc as well, which stands to reason really.

Back
Top Bottom