PWM Fan splitter Question

Associate
Hi there :)

I currently have a Antec 902 Case with its orginal Antec fans. The system is now pretty close to where I sit, having been banished to under the table for years. I'm finding the antec fans a bit noisy and I'm sick of having to get up and mess around with the manual fan controls, lazy i know :)

So I was thinking about replacing all the 120mms with Akasa Apaches, hooking them into the Akasa PWM Splitter ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-031-AK&tool=3 ) and putting that into the PWM fan connector on my motherboard(Gigabyte EX580-UD5). then using software to manage the fan speeds so i can continue to enjoy sitting on my arse :)

My question is, using the above splitter, would the 3 fans take power from the Molex connector and only use the Motherboard connection for the PWM control?

or

Would all three fans be powered off the MB header?

thanks in advance :)

Associate
OP
ahh cool, thanks for the reply :)

Lost a MB once due to me powering way to many fans off the headers, now i'm a bit paranoid :)

Associate
I just did exactly this last night, changed the 4 case fans out for Vipers, hooked up to the cpu fan header via the Akasa 5 way splitter cable.

I set the bios to PWM fan control (Gigabyte Z68AP-D3) and now it's practically silent at idle (I need to give the gpu fan a clean now grrrr) and very managable noise at load. They also shaved 7c off my OC temps too :D

Associate
OP
the above is awsome news....

I'm sick of getting up and down to change fan speeds, everytime I want to skive off work and play Payday:Heist

Now i just need to find the Wifes purse to make it a "perfect" solution :p

Back
Top Bottom