Python programming and where to start?

Soldato
Morning all, my gf is a python programmer and my best made is a programmer too. Anyway, I know NOTHING about programming but would like to take it up as a side hobby.

I was looking at this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Python-Prog...+Introduction+to+Computer+Science+2nd+edition

But can't get it on the kindle, I really would like an 'introductory' book, any suggestions? And yea, Python would be my preferred first language as I have many around me who can help me out with it.

Soldato
OP
my gf is a python programmer and my best made is a programmer too

Sounds like dependency injection.

I'm a techie of a different variety, I'd just like to gain more knowledge on the subject. I think you're reading between the lines a little too much lol.

Or you're trolling? In which case, carry on!

Soldato
Naa, I need new reading material for when I'm on the throne, I'll ask them when it comes to practical application and I get stuck.

But surely as Python programmers they could advise you on said reading material? Don't you trust their judgement?

Caporegime
perhaps take a free introductory course to get you started, then once you've got the basics use the online resources above and start working on your personal projects, then perhaps look at other more advanced online courses covering algorithms etc...

introductory courses here:

https://www.udacity.com/course/cs101
https://www.udacity.com/course/ud036

plenty of other further courses on that site + coursera + EDX + Stanford Online + MIT open courseware

Soldato
Best tutorial is and always will be the official Python docs. ;)

Edit: actually to reiterate what others have said, learn by doing. Programming is a skill to be practiced! Nobody gets better at using a hammer by reading about it, you've got to whack your thumb a few times. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I know a great book, it's called Python for Kids, don't let the title fool you though: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Python-Kids-Playful-Introduction-Programming/dp/1593274076 Many books I've found to be disappointing so generally I will get a pdf of it and have a flick through, if I think it's good then I'll buy it but it's a good way to get a comprehensive preview if you have some sort of morals and want to support the author!

Last edited:
Soldato
Agree with "getting your hands dirty in the code" but if you don't even know what a compiler is or how to make a hello world program then it's a bit pointless saying just go code. That's like being given all the materials to build a bridge and saying just try and build it, don't worry about the schematics on how to build it.
You've picked a good starter language anyway, the amount of people who have never programmed and want to use C++ because that's what "the pros make games with" and then fall on their ass is spectacular in number.

Last edited:
Soldato
As long as I was given access to google search I'd be fine. Google how do I build a bridge. It mentions needing mortor for laying bricks. Google what's mortor? How do I make mortor? How do I use mortor?

I've never used a book if I'm honest other than "clean code". Say I wanted to make a web connection from an app I'd follow a tutorial and then find out how/why X function does Y.

Soldato
That's a good way to learn but I tend to avoid web searches as a lot of results are bad code from people who don't know any better most likely. I tend to stick to highly commended books by language inventors themselves or other such.
I guess there is no one way fits all, everyone learns differently. I understand quite a lot though for someone who doesn't work in IT and that has been mostly from reading some great books spanning a fair few topics :)
OP, programming is a very general thing to say you want to learn, what specifically do you want to focus on? Web, games etc?

Soldato
That's a very good point actually. For every 100,000 tutorials on a specific function only 1 or 2 will actually be correct. Ok maybe a few hundred of them will work but it's more than just "well it works don't it?" :D it's doing it right that counts.

Soldato
perhaps take a free introductory course to get you started, then once you've got the basics use the online resources above and start working on your personal projects, then perhaps look at other more advanced online courses covering algorithms etc...

introductory courses here:

https://www.udacity.com/course/cs101
https://www.udacity.com/course/ud036

plenty of other further courses on that site + coursera + EDX + Stanford Online + MIT open courseware

I've done those. Great courses. I've tried various MOOCs with Udacity, Coursera and edX, and can hand on heart say that Udacity's are the best. Their offering is limited compared to the others, but it's quality over quantity. Udacity's website is more robust, you are free to study at your own pace and the lectures are just... better.

I'm currently doing 'The Data Scientist's Toolbox' with Coursera. I can honestly say, I am really glad I didn't pay for this course. The lectures are just powerpoint presentations with a voiceover, and I'm not at all impressed by the assessment method. Udacity largely lets you study at your own pace. Have a busy week? No worries, just catch up next week. Coursera, not so much. Even on a short (4 week) course, there are strict deadlines with harsh punishments for not meeting them. IMHO, they are overlooking the fact that these courses are largely completed by people in their spare time, which is rarely consistent. This isn't University - it's casual study.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom